I have a Dell Dimension 5150 - 1gb RAM, 3ghz ish HT pentium 4, and a radeon x600 video card

Ok, ubuntu had a bit of trouble with the video card but otherwise runs great (i edited xorg.conf to say vesa instead of ati)

Only problem is I dont have any sound. (Built into my chipset) , oddly enough does vista or any other microsoft system apart from the version of XP i got from dell.

Anyone know which kernel module i need?
Its a hi-def sound chip i think as i have like 5 or so sound ports at the back

Linux thinks its an intel something but obviously thats not working so it mustnt be.

Windows used to say it was a sigmatel thing

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Anyone know which kernel module i need?
Its a hi-def sound chip i think as i have like 5 or so sound ports at the back

Oh, that's helpful.

Find the brand of the card; the exact model would be even better. If you can't find it, and expect us to know what kernel module to use, you might as well just try random modprobing and see if you get anything.

thats the problem. Windows just says "Sigmatel High Definition Audio" and dell is no help as it was a special deal machine

ah oh yeah my pc is BTX form factor, intel chipset - i think that limits it to about 2 possible mobos

Well, once you've found out the soundcard brand, come back and tell us. (Try looking in the manuals that came with your computer.)

The only Sigmatel chipset that dell uses is:
SIGMATEL STAC 92XX

The easy way to get the exact name of the device in linux is the following command:
lspci

You should see something like this:
00:1b.0 Audio device: blah blah blah

Provide this information, and we may be able to provide more insight on how to get this working :)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449

Take a gander... I had a headache with this for a while... and then if a lot of the fixes DON'T work... seriously give a look at my contribution (Search the page for webbca01) and try that out.....

I seriously fell off my chair when i found that fix and it actually worked!

Best of luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.