i was curious are there any benefits to linux that i dont know off over windows?
i know the obvious ones like open source and stuff.

i have downloaded and installed redhat8 as a dual boot with xp. windows sorta didnt like it but i manage to get them both working.

suddenly and out of no were after working for 2 weeks just fine my linux stops. linux will not boot on my computer any more.

i would ask you guys how i could repair it but i have no idea how linux works and explaining it to me would just take to much time.

i originaly installed it for:
1)as a support for linux i dont like the idea of microsoft owning the world
2)so i can experience it
3)as a learning process. i was told that in the process of installing and using linux you will learn alot about computers. thats is true.
4)i heard it improves internet effeincy by 500%. a bit hard to believe tho

i have given up on linux for a while for the reason that my modem does not work with it. but i want to join it again. i will soon join a school to teach me how to use linux or at least get started on it. i know i can probably learn on my own just like how i learned to use windows but i would rather it done in school.

isnt redhat9 beta out?
what linux distribution should i use. and if you are going to say mandrake or redhat tell me why?
oo and liek i said benefits to lunux :)?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

There are already lots of threads on this forum debating which linux distribution to choose, so I'm not even going to go there. And yes, RedHat 9 has officially been out for quite some time (not in beta, the real thing).

It's incredibly true that by learning linux you will learn a lot about computers. In fact, the linux distribution you choose depends on how much you learn (mandrake vs. slackware or debian, for example)

Do you wish to get into any forms of programming? (C++, php, perl, shell scripts, etc.??)
Are you interested in networking? Linux is very good at this.

Mainly linux just gives you a LOT more freedom than you get with windows, to crawl into the depths of your operating system and fully customize it in every way imaginable. In doing this, you learn how an operating system ticks. It can be a very, very rewarding experience, but it can also be a very frustrating one.

Improves internet efficiency by 500%? Well, I wouldn't exactly say THAT. But it depends on what you usually do on the Internet. Browse the web? E-mail? Talk to friends. In linux you have the option of using a text-based console to perform tasks or to use a graphical GUI. (Just about anything can be done in either - if you choose a console though just be prepared for a text-only web browser LOL!)

Good luck in your linux endeavors!

I love every major Linux release. Its kinda nuts how many options you want...

10 Text Editors
6 GUIs
3 Calculators
4 Office Suites

WHO NEEDS EM ALL? lol

Just bloatware. What happened to a nice complete 40mb distro?

I do like Knoppix; I made a post about it somewhere on this site a long time ago. I suggest it if you are starting out, you don't need to install it. Just boot off the CD, and voila! Linux.

You don't have to install everything that comes with a distribution, nor do you need to keep everything you've installed on your system.

and you have all those different text editors, GUIs, Calculators, and Office Suites so you have a choice. try them out and use the one you like best. and get rid of the ones you dont like. with *NIX its all about choice.

I suggest to use Gentoo coz Gentoo optimizes all created binaries for Ur CPU. You can also do manual tweaking of GCC flags. My main reason for switching from windows to linux in my workstation (I will always run BSD on servers) was the idea of tweaking. I love optimizing and making things work

I do 90% of my web-browsing (and 100% of my posting)
from one of my workstations running Knoppix.

www.knoppix.net is an english
language based website for knoppix documentation
and information. LOTS of great information there.
KNOPPIX is just killer for a lot of what I do.

No install (unless you want)
Live CD-Based, well set up and has a large
base of installed programs to check out linux with.

Want XP Back? Just reboot without the cd...
it'll let your harddrive based OS boot normally.

Very hard to mess up, 20 minute install if you
need it to and almost NO configuration. :)

All my workstations run Knoppix now.

I do 90% of my web-browsing (and 100% of my posting)
from one of my workstations running Knoppix.

www.knoppix.net is an english
language based website for knoppix documentation
and information. LOTS of great information there.
KNOPPIX is just killer for a lot of what I do.

No install (unless you want)
Live CD-Based, well set up and has a large
base of installed programs to check out linux with.

Want XP Back? Just reboot without the cd...
it'll let your harddrive based OS boot normally.

Very hard to mess up, 20 minute install if you
need it to and almost NO configuration. :)

All my workstations run Knoppix now.

Knoppix is the way to go for strictly a browsing machine.. a quick boot and
your online.. no hard drive makes for a good dumb terminal and you can save
junk to usb if'n ya wanna. If you get a hold of somthin nasty just reboot.
zero maint and your back online.. great for folks that just surf & check mail
also really nice for when the fork-up fairy visits your windows machine..
just boot and your in deep enuff to potentially recover your windows box
with minimal anguish.. ..or at least salvage before a reload - I havn't done a
full load yet.. maybe when i have time :cheesy:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.