mmmm i dislike freebsds installer. Its like slackwares (which i hate! debian installer all the way!) in that you have to go back to go forward.

I like PC-BSD but its kinda noobish. They have PBIs which are like windows .MSIs

i know, i can't figure it out, it's so lame, you have to manually do everything, configure every littler service, edit every text file, it's too much.

>>please stop bickering!
>It's not possible to bicker when the opponent has left. And by the way, discussion is a completely different thing than bickering.

dood, that wasn't me :/

As for how you go about testing a distribution versus another, you do it on the same hardware, it stands to reason then that if its the fastest on low end pc's, it will be the fastest on high end pc's and i allways look for this when choosing. if you don't understand that, then your not thinking straight. the statement "only because it doesn't require high system specs" IS nonsensicle! it isn't ONLY!! think about it!

Also i noticed this!
> the lower an operating system's minimum requirements, the faster it will run. You said yourself that AntiX was designed with low-RAM boxes in mind, and while I've never used it myself, I think it isn't at all illogical to say that this is the reason it runs so fast.

but didn't you just agree that the distribution was ONLY for low end machines? can you agree with both? i think not.

also i noticed that someone said there is no difference to this and a tweaked debian. well thats nonsensical too because your debian needed tweaking!

>dood, that wasn't me
Did I say it was you?

>As for how you go about testing a distribution versus another, you
>do it on the same hardware
I think you're interpreting the post incorrectly. The first statement isn't comparing anything -- TheNNS is simply giving a reason for why AntiX runs so fast. He's saying it's not because they optimized any code, it's just because they removed all the large stuff, and as a result, it has lower system requirements.

The second statement is comparing Debian to AntiX by him saying that he's stripped down Debian in a similar manner to the way MEPIS was stripped down to become AntiX. Show me where in his post he ever said anything about Debian being faster than MEPIS or AntiX.

try quoting it next time, it sure looked like you were implying it was from me, you never said it wasn't and never referenced who it was from.

i don't think you two grasp how to analyse a distribution. what he was implying was that there was no difference between it and a stripped down debian but the fact is, to the end user who wants to use it for a lower end machine, the fact that its stripped down ready is all there is too it. i am not so sure mepis would agree that they have done no optimisations either, can you reference that too please? or are you talking out of your hat again?

MEPIS have done optimisations

all the bsd's, (freeBSD, openBSD, netBSD) are hard to configure, confusing and hard to configure.

LOL i think not!
you obviously have never heard of (or tried?) /etc/rc.conf
you've never studdied the power and simplicity of pf
you've never seen how easy it is, so you can't comment.
put your cane away teacher
lmao

remember, it's not all about linux, t's about freedom, choice and opensource ;)
the term we use is *NIX
this means unx LIKE and includes Linux, *BSD (F, O, N etc) and anyone else who decides to release their code!

> you obviously have never heard of (or tried?) /etc/rc.conf

yes i have.

> you've never studdied the power and simplicity of pf

study?

> you've never seen how easy it is, so you can't comment.

you've obviosly not seen how stupid it is.

uh and yea, yeah i have. I have tried all 3 of the big bsds and two desktop bsds and i can safely say that all the mainstream ones are hard to install

BSD can be easy to install but its not.

e.g PCBSD and DesktopBSD have lovely installers.

OpenBSDs install is horrible. FreeBSDs and NetBSDs is better but still confusing

And im not a noob, i have done LFS and Gentoo in the past so i know the difference between hard and easy installs

And FYI, i dont have a thing about text based installers. I like the, just so long as they work (debians one is great, redhats is OK but I hate slackwares and FreeBSD type ones)

> you obviously have never heard of (or tried?) /etc/rc.conf

yes i have.

> you've never studdied the power and simplicity of pf

study?

> you've never seen how easy it is, so you can't comment.

you've obviosly not seen how stupid it is.

<snipped - unpleasant trolling>

I've never seen anything good from any of your posts.

Why are you here again?

Oh, right.....to cause trouble where you can. Have fun.

Synaptic has been updated in the PCLOS repositories and it now has a much snappier start :D

That's good 'cause it was way too slow before.
Just for an example when I click on my synaptic icon in mepis it takes less than a second for the password screen to pop up. Then when I put the password in it takes all of three seconds for synaptic to be totally loaded up so I can grab what I want. Just out of curiosity how long, in seconds, does it really take your synaptic to load up using pclinuxos. You can use minutes if you need to. I had to measure synaptic's loading time in minutes using pclinuxos but I'm sure it is a lot better now. Thanks

On my debian sid system it takes under 3 seconds (on 128mb ram) for sytaptic to come up.

i must admit though that pclinuxos is slow as hell. I think becasue its based on mandrake

Why are you here again?

Take some basic human relation courses along with some anger management group therapy.

Can you point out where I've been insulting?

I argue because that's what forums are for, to discuss topics and YOU have to learn that not every one will agree with you all the time. You're to sensitive. Please loosen up.

>i am not so sure mepis would agree that they have done no
>optimisations either
Regardless of what optimizations were done, my point isn't that no optimizations were done, but that any that were done have little impact compared to stripping down the components that make up the operating system.

>All I ever see of you TheNNS is bunk. All you ever seem to do is fight
>and argue. You NEVER have a nice attitude and you always try and
>demean and insult whenever you can.
At least I'm glad that someone here is nice to other people. :icon_rolleyes:

In any case, this whole argument is silly. Even if TheNNS was incorrect, there was no need for him to receive a malicious response claiming that he was being a troll. The best way to respond to someone who is incorrect is to correct them. Period.

Can you point out where I've been insulting?

I argue because that's what forums are for, to discuss topics and YOU have to learn that not every one will agree with you all the time. You're to sensitive. Please loosen up.

Then why did you post the #2 post on this thread?
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread75766.html
I didn't see the relevance of your post. It looks like you were trolling for an arguement or just trying to discredit my statement or mepis for some unknown reason. What was the basis for your decision to post that reply???

Discussing topics and arguing are two very different things and bring very different responses as you know.
Forums are NOT intended as a place to argue. YOU need to realize that. Nuff said.

Why are you here again?

Then why did you post the #2 post on this thread?
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread75766.html

While I don't think TheNNS's post in that thread was particularly constructive or polite, if that's all it takes for you to lay an attack on someone, then you obviously have some bigger problems than the person you're attacking. On the other hand, if they truly were mean and miserable, do you think telling them that would do anything? Do you honestly believe that they would stop it because of your statement? Again, I repeat: make use of the "flag bad post" button if you feel a particular post is inappropriate, and the moderators will deal with the situation.

>Forums are NOT intended as a place to argue.
Actually, I beg to differ on that one. Forums are an excellent place to argue as long as the people arguing are respectful of each other. Constructive arguments are informative to both the people participating in it and others reading it. When you start attacking the other person instead of their logic is when you've crossed the line. And I think that is something _you_ need to realize.

mepnoob, i'm sorry for making that post, i did not intend to be offensive or start an argument. But like joe said, this is a place to discuss and argue about topics of our benefit, and the people reading it. I hope you losen up a bit in the future.

mepnoob, i'm sorry for making that post, i did not intend to be offensive or start an argument. But like joe said, this is a place to discuss and argue about topics of our benefit, and the people reading it. I hope you losen up a bit in the future.

Good enough for me. Let's start fresh.

ok, i'm TheNNS.
today i used the mepis live cd to duplicate a hard drive, and it worked perfectly. so thanks to the mepis guys.

suuuuuure mate ;) you just keep loving yourself, i'm out of this one hahaha

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.