My first posting, and it's because I need your help.

OS 10.3 is not seeing my OS 9.2 SimpleText files. I've even burned them onto a CD on an iMac, copied them to my G4 and, guess what, the folder is empty (but back-checking the CD on the iMac shows they're there).

What's going on? How can I get OS 10.3 to see these SimpleText files?

Hope someone can help me out. Many thanks.

john

Do they show up in the Terminal on your 10.3.x box?

Yes, they're visible in Terminal.

Now I have emailed the SimpleText docs to myself (mailing from OS 9.2).

They arrive OK as an attachment and download to a Desktop folder (in OS 10.3).

Click the folder . . . and it's empty.

Do a Find, and the docs are located in the "empty" folder.

Drag copy the attachment to that folder, and a message comes up: "The item 'name.sit' cannot be replaced because it is invisible."

So, they're here on my HD, in the folder where I want them, but they're invisible. Why? How can I make them visible in 10.3?

(They're visible in 9.2, but only if I restart in 9.2 -- they remain invisible if I run Classic from 10.3.)

Baffled. Any one any ideas? Many thanks.

Problem solved.

In OS 9 (and earlier OS's) I was in the habit of naming some folders with a dot (.), just to shuffle them to the top of the pile. Had done it for years, no probs. Now i find that in OS X you cannot do this, as files that begin with a dot are reserved for the System only (they're the invisibles). Simply by removing the dot in OS 9 has made the folder and its contents visible to OS X.

A simple fix. A lesson learned. A habit to get out of.

I'll probably use numbers (01, 02, etc) to order the folders in the non-alphabetical hierarchy I want (unless anyone says 'no', or can suggest an better way ...)

LOL, I as just about to ask that when you solved it yourself. UNIX has always used .foo as hidden files. Glad you found it and it was an easy solution!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.