Alright I have dial-up that I use to download patches and stuff on my 360. I use internet connection sharing to connect to Xbox Live, and it worked fine with XP. I set up ICS on XP and I would be able to download all the patches perfectly.

Now with vista its pissing me off. I set up ICS the same way, and I could connect to Xbox Live. The problem is with the dashboard update. Whenever I try to download it on my 360 it says something along the lines of: "The download could not be completed. Do network settings to see if everything passes (which it does) or go to xbox.com/support."

My question is why in the world will, with Vista, it not download the daashboard updates. If it was with XP it would of downloaded it no problem. But now Vista is just annoying. I mean, I can connect to Xbox Live but it just doesn't download. Do any of you have a clue?

My setup is as follows. In my dial-up sharing tab I have checked "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection" and "Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection." In the settings I have everything checked which is for services running on your network that internet users can access.

In my LAN settings for Internet Protocal V4 (TCP/IP) properties I have it to use the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway and dns servers are blank. How can I make it so things download?

Recommended Answers

All 33 Replies

the firewall is pribably blocking the port the xbox needs for updates

Do you know what port that would be?

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
TCP 5555
UDP 7777
UDP 3776
UDP 1900
TCP 3390

these ports must be open in the pcs firewall. That lits covers all necessary ports for medis sharing/xbox live
TCP 3932

UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
TCP 5555
UDP 7777
UDP 3776
UDP 1900
TCP 3390

these ports must be open in the pcs firewall. That lits covers all necessary ports for medis sharing/xbox live
TCP 3932

That didn't work. The exact error message it gives me is:

"Update Failed
Can't download the update. Please test your connection in System, Network Settings, and try again. If the problem persists, go to www.xbox.com/support."

Anyone else have any ideas?

Dont know. Does it have a hard disk (it needs one - core system dsoesnt come with one) and is it modded or not?

It has a hard disk and is not modded.

I just tested something and it's odd. I can download stuff off of the marketplace, but I still cannot download patches. The stuff of the marketplace downloads exactly like before. Another thing I found out. When I'm downloading patches, before it says update failed, it actually downloads a little bit of the patch. It would take forever to download the patches this way which is why I want to try to fix it. Hope this helps you guys find a solution.

itw wierd. Maybe you should contact support

I can't really do that because once I tell them I'm using dial-up they will just keep saying you cannot get on Xbox Live with dial-up and that won't help me.

dial up + xbox = slow

the dash update is very large (took me half an hour on broadband thats 40x faster than dialup)

it probably timed out

I went to my friends house to download the update and it took like a minute. Still when I try to DL the madden patch it doesn't work.

dont bump threads or youll get in trouble

Here is my ipconfig /all in case that will help someone figure this out:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Kyle>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-PC
Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter ISP.com:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : ISP.com
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 4.159.125.205(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 209.244.0.3209.244.0.4
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-60-B5-98-AD
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::200:5efe:4.159.125.205%17(Preferred
)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{987D9242-0748-41B7-82C3-5D3D62D5B
19A}

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 6TO4 Adapter
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2002:49f:7dcd::49f:7dcd(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 2002:c058:6301::c058:6301

C:\Users\Kyle>

you are doing it through dialup.

That's not the problem though as it worked on windows xp...

try using the windows media center in your Vista to configure your xbox and then in the xbox check if you can still coneect to the internet.

this should solve your problem it solved mine, though i am not using a dialup, but you can configure media centre for dial up as well and then optimize you network.

hello i think i might be able to solve ur problem. I assume you have already done the right click on the conection to the internet and select sharing and select share this internet connection with your local connection (select the one the xbox is plugged into) and then click ok. With your xbox plugged in make sure you if you are assigning it an ip address on the xbox that you give it the same one on the properties of the connection or if its automatic make sure the settings are reflected on the pc.

Now this is the important part. Both the xbox and the pc need to be on the same type of network private not public. To do this next to each connection it should say customize click it and set it to private on both. It should now work.

Well yeah but thats the problem. It shows up as an Unidentified Network and is Public. I can switch it to private but if I turn off the 360 and turn it back on it switches back to public. I don't know how to make it stay private, or even make it an identified network.

yer i dont know how to do that either but when you do set both the xbox and the net to private does it work. Maybe someone else can help us with that!

Alright I managed to make it so my computer no longer recognizes my 360 as an Unidentified Network and always as public, and now it is called Network and it is always set as private, which is a good thing. The bad thing is the patches still don't download.

Maybe its a problem with my modem drivers or NIC drivers? Think you guys could check to see if there is any updated drivers for them?

My NIC is a NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller with driver version 65.7.4.0.
My dial-up modem is a PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP with driver version 7.69.0.0 and it says the drivers are provided by CXT.

Thanks for the help!

Okay I know my NIC drivers are out of date now for sure its just a matter of finding the most up to date one...

it shouldnt matter. It sounds like a bug with your ICS setup, not a driver issue

Yeah that can't be the problem. I just updated them and it still doesn't work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.