I am working with XP Pro and would like to capture video clips I've viewed with microsoft media player and quicktime. Is there a way to save non-protected media? Please advise

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

I've used NERO for this.

Much thanks for the timely reply. I have a copy of Nero eXpress 6. Do you know if this version has the capacity to capture video?

I need to half take back what I advised earlier because I've read your requirement properly.

Video that has been viewed using WMP may either be on your PC as MPG files (or AVI) or MIGHT have been streamed down from a web link. These latter files MIGHT be present in your Temporary Internet Files folder with an AVI or MPG (or WMV) file type. These files can be copied to a permanent folder and processed.

Quicktime files have the file extension MOV and you MIGHT find them in the above mentioned folder if you have viewed the files online.

In that case you've captured what you want and don't need to process the files any further.

So forget the Nero thing; I use that to reprocess files and I've got other software too that converts video types.

Why do that? Just change the settings in My Computer and in your browser so it asks you what to do with the file each time you view a video. Save is an option there.

Greetings:

Sounds like great advice but I could not find such a setting. I was in internet options. Further guidance would be appreciated.

Why do that? Just change the settings in My Computer and in your browser so it asks you what to do with the file each time you view a video. Save is an option there.

Does that work with streaming? You're in WMP - right? So what do you set to save the streamed file?

I might learn something here.

Does that work with streaming? You're in WMP - right? So what do you set to save the streamed file? /QUOTE] i don't think this works ,usually you need software to capture streaming video .this one for firefox .will capture video from youtube and other sites
http://download-streaming-video.qarchive.org/

also .
http://www.google.ca/search?q=streaming+wmp+video+downloads+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Does that work with streaming? You're in WMP - right? So what do you set to save the streamed file? /QUOTE] i don't think this works .....

Quite!

Every video file I look at does the same thing. But I will not let QuickTime on my system, because it messes up too many settings. So I just don't watch .mov files.

i use nero , fraps for this!

if you put the mouse over the video file and right click it gives you the option to open with a secific program , so click on choose program and pick the one you prefer and tick the change all box at the bottom.
I hope this helps

VLP plays everything.

I am working with XP Pro and would like to capture video clips I've viewed with microsoft media player and quicktime. Is there a way to save non-protected media? Please advise

are you talking about videos on your PC or from the internet.

for a media player i use both windows media player and vlc.
If one dosent play the file the other one will.
VLC is available for both mac and pc & is great.

I use ads tech dvdexpresdx2 for all my video capture needs , and i recommend it highly.
Also as a bonus avi to mpg converter built into it.
I tried a video capture by pinnacle and it slowed my pc down entirely to the point of it taking 1 minute to open a web page & also the software came on 3 discs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.