I have a computer problem that is stumping me. I have a 32M flash usb memory stick that works just fine on one of my computers in the office but not on the other three. All the same model dells. The one it works on has some different soft ware but it appears to be using the same driver that is used on the other computers for the device. The device is recognized in the device manager when you plug it in and says that it is working properly. An icon appears on the task bar for proper removal of the device. The problem is that the device does not show up in any list so that you can write to it. You can not see it in my computer or if you try save as from an office program. On the computer that it works with. It shows up as a usb mass storage device and you read and save from it as with any other drive. I think it must be a setting or something since the computers are the same. Our IT guys don't want to help because it is an unsupported device but it's driving me crazy. I have looked all over the Internet and as of yet have not found anyone describing this problem. If you have any ideas I would appreciate your input. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I'd certainly be interested in hearing a definitive answer to this one as well. some time back I looked all over the net for clues to a reader's similar problem, but with no success.

Shot in the dark here but I've seen where Windows wants to assign the USB drive a particular drive letter, for example I'll use F: but the user already has F: mapped to a network resource, the device will not show up as an available drive in the My Computer folder. If that is the case right click the "My Computer" icon and choose "Manage" then under "System Tools" go to the section called "Disk Management". This is a good place to check anyways since it will tell you if Windows sees the volume. If you do see your 32MB memory stick in there you should be able to right click it and choose the "Change Drive Letter" and set it to some drive that isn't already mapped such as Q: drive. I think you have to reboot after that change but you might check in the My Computer folder and see if it populates under the new drive letter before rebooting. Good luck!

:lol: Problem solved, Antioed was right. The memory device was assigned the same drive letter as a mapped network drive. I changed the drive assignment letter and problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Most excellent, this one goes into my vault. Nice work, Antioed. :)

Easy ones are still the best.

thanks too to the advice of antioed, it worked on my problem with IcyBox too.

cheers

hi
i have a 256 datatraveller . i also have the sasme problem. but even though i worked like what you all said still the problem continues.in a computer my drive in neglected and when i logged via another username it accepts.

i didnt see my rive on disk management.

when i insert my drive there is an indication of my drive being pluged and suddenly after 2 - 3 seconds the drives name dissapear from the task bar as wel as in mycomputer. though my drive is working perfectly in the 6 computers out of the 9 computers at my university.
i formatted the drive 2 times that too didn't work.i chaged the driver's path in a computer which accepts my drive.(because when it denies i didnt see my drive on the screen to modify)

please help me on this aspect.

looking for a favourable reply. thanks

hi
i have a 256MB datatraveller . i also have the sasme problem. but even though i worked like what you all said still the problem continues.in a computer my drive in neglected and when i logged via another username it accepts.

i didnt see my drive on disk management.

when i insert my drive there is an indication of my drive being pluged and suddenly after 2 - 3 seconds the drives name dissapear from the task bar as wel as in mycomputer. though my drive is working perfectly in the 6 computers out of the 9 computers at my university.
i formatted the drive 2 times that too didn't work.i chaged the driver's path in a computer which accepts my drive.(because when it denies i didnt see my drive on the screen to modify)

[hi
i have a 256MB datatraveller . i also have the same problem. but even though i worked like what you all said still the problem continues.in a computer my drive in neglected and when i logged via another user appilication it accepts.it happens only in a computer.

hi
i have a 256MB datatraveller . i also have the sasme problem. but even though i worked like what you all said still the problem continues.in a computer my drive in neglected and when i logged via another username it accepts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.