I can't get an XP Home computer to successfully browse the internet when physically connected to an SBS 2003 network. NSLookup resolves external name/addresses, and I can ping outside the network, I can print to local network printers, but IE7 won't open any web pages outside of our local domain. If I connect to the router and bypass firewall and local network, IE7 works fine, but then no local printer. Suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Do you have a proxy in place? If you are using a static IP address, check your default gateway for a type-o.

AJZ

I do not have a proxy, and I'm using DHCP.

Are you able to ping your default gateway?

Techelp,
Do you have another browser installed? Does it have the same behavior?

If so the only other thing I can think of is, your MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) the default setting is 1500 I would try dropping this down to 1400 reboot and test your connectivity. Here is the key to set the MTU HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{adapter id}\MTU.

AJZ

I'll try it, but it may be a few days before I have access to the computer. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.