Comcast told me "It's not our fault." They said my "Winsox" (I may not be saying that correctly.) is causing a problem with my internet access. Do I need to take my computer to a repair shop or can I do this fix myself?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Explaining exactly what was going wrong will help others here to get a better idea of what could be going wrong with your computer and possible fixes. So try telling us what your computer is, or isn't, doing and I'm sure someone who knows a fix or has ideas will respond soon. :)

Hi Robin, I believe you probably mean WinSocks and, as Deonna said, more information is needed in order for someone to assist you. Most likely you will be able to fix it yourself, or at least get a better idea of what's wrong so if you do need to take it to a shop, they won't have to spend as much time (and your money) diagnosing it. Besides explaining what it is or isn't doing, include your operating system (like Windows 98SE) and what brand of modem Comcast gave you.

Do you have an IP address?

Click Start, then Run, then type in WINIPCFG /ALL, and then click OK. Tell us what it says under IP Address on the system. If it's anything starting with 169.x.x.x, then yes, you probably do need to reinstall Winsock.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.