Well here I am again, relying on this great comunity to help me!

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
System Name: DENISELEBEL
System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
System Model: Dimension 8300
System Type: X86-based PC
Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2792 Mhz
Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date: Dell Computer Corporation A05, 23/02/2004
SMBIOS Version: 2.3
Windows Directory: C:\WINDOWS
System Directory: C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device: \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
Total Physical Memory: 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory: 465.92 MB
Total Virtual Memory: 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory: 1.96 GB

I have an BFG Tech Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT

READ THE WHOLE STORY, THE PROBLEM IS NOT ONLY THE OMEGA DRIVERS THANKS

It came with the Forceware 162 drivers. I never update often so I finaly decided too, but instead I went and got the Omega drivers based off of forceware v169. I uninstalled my drivers, installed those, then restarted and the welcome screen is all nice and working, then I load up a profile and bang! http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3738/img0615qd7.jpg

I put my old graphics card in Nvidia 5200 and unistalled the omega drivers, then installed the Nvidia forceware 169 drivers. I put the 6800 back in and it worked great, I turned off the computer, turned it back on, everything was fine. Then I played some games. Turned it off again.

Woke up the next morning and http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3738/img0615qd7.jpg
BAM! I said "wtf, I fixed that" so then I poped in the windows xp cd and repaired my windows xp, and it worked again.

But now every time I restart my computer the color goes into 8 bit mode and its as if I dont have a graphics card at all (scrolling down anything takes forever) the resolution of my monitor is gone (1440 x 900) and all I can get are the omega drivers display resolutions up around the 3000 x 2000 range and then the default 1280 x 800. Now this isnt much of a problem, but I cant play any games because it says I dont have the drivers installed. I cant use the internet because scrolling down a page takes forever. AND the icons on the monitor are screwed up too, and it gets annoying.

So, I unistall the drivers, I go into add remove programs and remove "Nvidia Drivers" and restart the computer, nothing has changed at all... so they were not even running in the first place. Since I uninstalled them I can reinstall the drivers that came with the cd v162. But when they are done, I chose not to restart because if I do the computer screws up again, and at least I can switch my resolution to 1440 x 900. So now it runs way better than if I were to restart but its still only at half capacity.

The Nvidia control panel is gone too, I can still run it from the desktop somehow but it has no options.

I think that in the Nvidia Driver instalation folder (which I cannot find) there are leftovers from the Omega Drivers which keeps overriding the real drivers.

If anyone can point me towards the install folder for graphics drivers or tell me how to fix this entirely that would be GREATLY appreciated.

And if anyone makes a wise crack about me having a Dell, I already know, and I am NEVER getting a Dell again. My next computer will be Alien Ware when I can afford one. And this thing has to get me through university before I can do that.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

alienware is dell they are owned by them

Dell makes excellent computers.
You installed drivers that are not supported by the manufacturer, nor written by a programmer, so perhaps you could take credit for this problem.
Try a system restore back to when the drivers were working.

First, those drivers are not installed anymore. forceware 169 does not work at all no matter what bloody company. I know they arent supported by the company, thats why im asking for your wonderful help. I am taking credit for this problem, that doesnt mean I can magicaly snap my fingers and fix it.

Second, my system restores got erased for some reason. Thats the first thing I tried, although when I got it working the first time (when restarting had no effect) I made one, I tried that and it still doesn't work.

Hmmm...
In Control Panel,, right-click the adapter and select "uninstall".
Have the correct drivers handy when you reboot, and install them.

Dell makes excellent computers.

2 of my 8 have died witihin 12 months of purchase due to bad power supplies or overheating issues.

they are very good as cheap machines but there non-standardness limits thier upgradeability

I support a lot of Dells, and have had very few hardware issues. Most run continuously and well for 4-5 years or more.
I've had no problem with memory or HD upgrades, but Dell is not the machine that people buy if they plan to upgrade. YMMV, but they are excellent machines for their purpose, IMHO.

yeah small upgrades like that are fine but the PSU, case, motherboard is not upgradeable and you cant fit wide or long pci-express cards in due to the layout

i like the drives actually, how everything i quick release and toolless

There are many models of Dell, and I have upgraded all the above components.
Again, though, this is not why people buy Dells.
Other than the high end XP and Alienware, the home computers are often purchased as a first computer by people who just want to surf and have email. although I know many people who are on their third or fourth Dell, mostly because of cost and reliability.

we should not turn every post into a he said she said on whats a good computer and whats not ,cheap computer are just that Cheap!!I have 3 Dells right now for sale so they are great for now .lol

Anyway to the problem at hand ,i first suggest ccleaner to remove all temp files and such ,then use the registry cleaner section of ccleaner to clean registry ,and go to the tools section and it will show add and remove program ,may show something related to the bad video drivers ,if so uninstall it .
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.