shell32.dll possibly corrupt error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have just performed a clean reinstall of Windows XP Pro service pack 2 and am getting the following error:

C0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image shell32.dll is possibly corrupt.
The header checksum does not match the computed checksu
m.

I used a Dell reinstallation CD and I just realized that my PC is probably not a Dell. I do not know if this has anything to do with it.

What do I have to do?

Thanks a lot for a lifesaver help!

P.S. Before I had XP Home service pack 2.
P.P.S. I have a few PC's in a network, so I can use the others to copy files or whatever.....

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

boot into safemode
put in any xp disk of the same service pack and edition

type " sfc /scannow " (without the speech marks of course) into the run box and wait. reboot back in to normal mode when it completes.

it will check for corrupted files and replace them with ones from an safe file store inside the PC or , if they are also corrupt, from the CD.

Hey nydana8, I had the same problem, heres what I did:
I have a working version of the same operating system, so I took the dll file from my computer and put it on a jump drive(make sure you write down the path where the dll file is). Then, I used the recovery disk from the install disk to go into recovery mode. Then, I used the copy command as follows: copy (directory of file on jumpdrive) (directory of file on the computer) and then I allowed it to overwrite the other one. Everything's running smooth now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.