Hi there,

From all my searching, this appears to be a common issue. That said, I haven't found a solution that works thus far.

Background:
I have two computers (PC1 and PC2), both with Win XP Pro SP2 connected to each other and the internet via my Netgear DG834 ADSL Modem Router. Both were working fine, then all of a sudden, PC1 started saying "A network cable is unplugged". Nothing new had been installed on the system.

Possible Causes:
* Windows updates ARE set to automatic. Problem first noticed: Sunday, March 9, 2008.
* Computer ventilation holes were blocked by a lot of dust.

Error resolution attempts thus far:
* Checked CAT5 to make sure cable was plugged in OK. It was.
* Tried switching cable from PC1 to PC2. Connection worked fine. Therefore, it's not the cable and it's not the port on the router.
* Cleaned out as much dust as I could find from PC1. No luck.
* Bought a new network card (NETGEAR FA311 v2 PCI) and installed that. No luck.
* Tried running "WinsockxpFix.exe" from http://www.watchingthenet.com/repair-windows-xp-tcp-network-settings-with-winsock-xp-fix-utility.html. No luck.

If anyone can point me in the direction of any possible solutions that would be VERY much appreciated!!!

Cheers,

Stanbridge

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Have you looked to see if PC1 is plugged into the Uplink port on the hub? Trying changing it to a different port (one of the middle ones) and avoid the ones on the ends. I'm not familar with that router to see which is which.

Hi bbmustang,

Thanks for the speedy reply! Unfortunately I have tried that too - tried switching PC1's connection to different hub ports (I should have mentioned that before). No such luck.

The port that PC1 is currently on definitely works (3rd port along out of 4 ports available). When I pulled the cable out of PC1 itself and put it into PC2, the connection came up right away - thus proving that both the cable, router and that specific port on the router are all working.

Thanks again mate!

Any further suggestions?

i have one,make sure drivers are installed for nic card ,right click on mycomputer /properties /hardware /device manager /network adapters ,make sure there are now red or yellow .! or x ,

Hi Caperjack!

Thanks for the reply mate! Unfortunately, I've tried that one too. The old NIC adapter was "working properly" even though the "network cable was unplugged".

Now with the second (new) NIC adapter, both of these are working properly (no conflicts either).

The new Network Card of course came with a CD including drivers, etc and they were all installed without issue.

Any other suggestions folks?

Many thanks,
Stanbridge

the network card itself is faulty then , maybe

I suppose it could happen. Although that would mean that both the onboard Network adapter AND the newly purchased Network adapter have both died - the new one without ever having been used before.

I have also now tried resetting the TCP/IP with "netsh int ip reset c:\ipresetlog.txt".

Could it be the motherboard? Or is that just as unlikely - the motherboard selectively killing network devices, one onboard and one PCI?

Still, these ARE both possibilities!!!

Thanks again Caperjack! All the help I can get on this one is very much appreciated!

Any other suggestions before I (attempt to) return the new network adapter and try a different one?

Cheers,

Stanbridge

not maybe, you are correct. the slot that the card goes into is bad. try using another slot on the mother board. even if you have to remove some other card. you also need to check in the bios if anything was changed (disabled nic slot)

One last thought.

Did you try a different slot on your motherboard for the NIC?

I am assuming you are using a PCI slot for the card. Perhaps you have a bus issue to that slot.

If you have already tried that I suspect you may have a issue with your MOBO.

Thanks guys! Will try changing slot for NIC. Although that doesn't explain the onboard Network adapter's issue also.

Will also try BIOS.

Will post a reply when I'm back on the PC in a few hours.

Cheers lads!

Hi again Caperjack!

I checked my router and couldn't find anything immediately obvious. Also, no network settings or router settings had been changed before the problem occurred (I'm the only one of two of us that would touch it).

IPCONFIG hasn't been mentioned yet, great suggestion! (Can't believe I haven't tried it yet!) Will have a lash at that when I get home in about 7 hours and then post the results.

Thanks again mate! Much appreciated!

Cheers
Stanbridge

I'm having the same problem. Did you solve the problem?

Hi clgz2002,

You're not going to like my response... but Yes I did solve the problem. However it was one of many (I work in IT) and I cannot for the life of me remember what I did to fix the problem!!!

I suspect it may have come down to a reinstall of Windows.

It definitely wasn't a hardware replace job.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help. If I think of anything further, I'll post it!

Cheers

Chris

That's ok. I installed another card and the one that was having problem, started to work properly again. This is something strange but know is working fine.

Hi clgz2002,

You're not going to like my response... but Yes I did solve the problem. However it was one of many (I work in IT) and I cannot for the life of me remember what I did to fix the problem!!!

I suspect it may have come down to a reinstall of Windows.

It definitely wasn't a hardware replace job.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help. If I think of anything further, I'll post it!

Cheers

Chris

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.