Recently, I was hit hard by the CWS/about:blank viruses. During this I was having problems opening some of my hotmail. It seemed somewhat random in terms of which I could or could not open. I then downloaded SpySweeper and ran AboutBuster, Remove.exe and HiJackThis.

While these viruses are now gone, I cannot open any hotmail nor can I access certain sercure pages. I run Windows 2000 on a custom PC.

Did I remove something that I needed by accident?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Download CWShredder and scan your computer again.

thanks, but still no help.

i've noticed that it is the links written in javascript that i can't access. any advice?

This is a wild guess but maybe it will help. If there is no error or security message, perhaps one of the annoyance fixers added a popup stopper to your browser.

I've seen that before...if you're on 2000 or XP try downloading the Windows Script here. I think it fixed that before.

What version of IE do you have (Help-->About)? You can use Start-->Run-->msinfo32 and expand Internet Settings-->Internet Explorer-->File Versions and see if any of the files show up with <file missing> and search the file name on Google to see if you can download an IE service pack that has those files in it.

I've seen that before...if you're on 2000 or XP try downloading the Windows Script here. I think it fixed that before.

What version of IE do you have (Help-->About)? You can use Start-->Run-->msinfo32 and expand Internet Settings-->Internet Explorer-->File Versions and see if any of the files show up with <file missing> and search the file name on Google to see if you can download an IE service pack that has those files in it.

Thanks for the help. I did all this to no avail. I then called MS and I had a free help session so the tech walked me through an IE fix. I'm all better now.
Thanks again. :cheesy:

Can you tell us what they had you do to correct this problem?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.