Hello all,

I have XP Home SP2. Just recently I decided to attempt to fix an issue that I have been having with my CPU. I have a 2.4 P4 and it has only been running at 1.8. I changed the CPU/DRAM speeds to 133/133 to get it to run at 2.4 which it did.

After two days the computer went to a blue screen after logging in and rebooted. After it finished with the POST it went to the XP loader screen (w/ the XP logo and status bar below). Normally the computer screen will flash then show the the user accounts to log into. Now it will finish with the XP loader screen and just go to a black screen with the pointer arrow.

I have tried using the XP cd to do a repair installation but that will not work. Do you have any suggestions on how to further proceed? Some suggestions that I have gotten are that my RAM may have gone bad ::shrug:: it doesn't make sense to me but I am open to anything.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have tried using the XP cd to do a repair installation but that will not work.

Will not work how? Can you be more specific? If you can get to the recovery console you could try this; it is a bit of work, if you decide to try it make sure you read all the steps carefully.

Will not work how? Can you be more specific? If you can get to the recovery console you could try this; it is a bit of work, if you decide to try it make sure you read all the steps carefully.

Once the repair installation finishes it still does the exact same thing. It will boot then just give me a black screen with a mouse pointer. In safemode it will give me a black screen with safemode in the corners of the screen and a mouse pointer

I have had a fubar'd registry before and used those steps you linked to fix it. I don't think that will help in this situation now. I will give it a shot anyway though.

Thanks

The steps actually outline replacing more than just the registry; I'd guess something to do with the SAM since it sounds like Winlogon might be blowing up which is one of the files you'd be replacing...the hope here is that it's just fu but not bar...you should find out pretty quickly.

If replacing the files doesn't work you can perform a parallel install to get to your data and backup before reinstalling Windows. Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.