Well a few days ago I decided to download Bit Defender and use it because of the high ratings it has gotten. After I installed it, I shut down Zone Alarm (because Bit Defender has its own firewall apparently).

Then my browser started to mess up. I became kinda worried that my computer would implode on itself (like a few of my others have), so I uninstalled Bit Defender and re-enabled Zone Alarm.

Still can't use my browser. If I have Zone Alarm up, nothing pops up not even a 'Server Cannot Be Found' message. And if I close Zone Alarm, I can limitedly surf the web but only on certain websites. For instance, I can get on the Google homepage, but I can't do a search. And a few of my favorites work, but I can't do much on the website.

And , I've ran Pc Doctor and Ad-Aware. I tried using WinSock to no avail.

Oh, and it's a Windows Xp Pro. Neither Mozilla nor IE works, although I can use instant messengers and connect to games.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Just as a though, have you tried reinstalling the browsers?

Well a few days ago I decided to download Bit Defender and use it because of the high ratings it has gotten. After I installed it, I shut down Zone Alarm (because Bit Defender has its own firewall apparently).

Then my browser started to mess up. I became kinda worried that my computer would implode on itself (like a few of my others have), so I uninstalled Bit Defender and re-enabled Zone Alarm.

Still can't use my browser. If I have Zone Alarm up, nothing pops up not even a 'Server Cannot Be Found' message. And if I close Zone Alarm, I can limitedly surf the web but only on certain websites. For instance, I can get on the Google homepage, but I can't do a search. And a few of my favorites work, but I can't do much on the website.

And , I've ran Pc Doctor and Ad-Aware. I tried using WinSock to no avail.

Oh, and it's a Windows Xp Pro. Neither Mozilla nor IE works, although I can use instant messengers and connect to games.

======================================================

may be the ie not responding to the server. contact to the costomer care. or just uninstall the both and chk that the registry key is deleted in the regedit.

Member Avatar for Dukane

Sounds like there are pieces of both ZoneAlarm and BitDefender still running because they were not removed and reconfigured properly. Search Google for instructions on COMPLETELY removing ZoneAlarm and BitDefender. Then see if you can access the Internet without a problem. Then install the firewall of your choice again if you feel the need to.

It sounds like a problem with your browser not being able to access the internet because of the firewall. Go under the exceptions for your firewall and see if your browser is being blocked or limited. (IE - iexplorer.exe, Firefox - firefox.exe)

-Austin

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.