Ok, here's the deal.... I recently bought a run of the mill Microsoft Optical mouse. Ever since I installed it, it seems to have a mind of it's own. It's a USB mouse, and at first I ran it through an adapter in the PS/2 port. Then, I changed to USB and it does the same thing. I took it back to where I bought it, got another one, and it does the same thing. My old mouse, a Logitech, never gave me any trouble. I've recently installed a new HD, and didn't ghost anything over. Just did a clean fresh start. Does the SAME THING. Is this a Windoze 2K thing? Anyways, a little help would be lovely.

Specs:
Windoze 2000 Professional
2.4 Gig AMD, Shuttle board
GeForce FX 5200 Video
Creative Audigy LS 24 Bit Sound
1 Gig DDR Ram
120 Maxtor HD

I'm at a loss...

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I had the same problem when I got my optical mouse. Come to find out it was my mouse pad. Now I don't use a mouse pad and all is well....

Tried that too... Went to 2 different "mice" pads and nothing worked. Even went without. I'm stumped.....

SOMEONE HELP ME!!

Return that POS and get a logitech. Trust me...

It's your mouse pad surface. Most of them were designed for use with a tracball so they were made with shiny pictures. Any shiny surface will make an optical mouse appear to have a mind of its own. Keep trying different surfaces until one works.

Well, I KNOW it's not my mouse pad. Tried 3 different ones to date. Nothing. Also tried strict "on the desk" and that didn't solve it.

I did download the Microsoft Mouse drivers listed above, and they seemed to help. It doesn't do it as much...But still jumps around a bit here and there. I think I'm going to take the other guys advice, and just buy another mouse.

Note to everyone: DON'T BUY THE "BASIC OPTICAL MOUSE" from Microsoft. It's possessed. I bet someone died in the factory, and they now haunt all "mice" that come out of there. :confused:

I have a packard bell optical mouse and mine work fine on a desk :p ;) :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.