Hi all I am try to repair a computer for a friend, the problem is that when its boots up it gets to post then the windows logo and then reboots itself. I can only get into the bios. I cant boot off the xp pro cd the computer wont let me. Any ideas .

Hi desmondo,
You might have a memory conflict issue or bad memory. If you are not getting any error messages than you might try reseating your memory chips and also since you are able to get into the bios I would suggest that you reset your bios settings back to system defaults settings within the bios. Let me know if any of this help you out. When did this start to happen? Did you change anything before this started happening?

Hit F8 repeatedly at boot up and choose Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration

hey there
have a closer look at event viewer in safe mode.In event viewer under system applet go see if theres any warnings and post results. prob sounds hardware related but event viewer should indicate
??

Hi desmondo,
You might have a memory conflict issue or bad memory. If you are not getting any error messages than you might try reseating your memory chips and also since you are able to get into the bios I would suggest that you reset your bios settings back to system defaults settings within the bios. Let me know if any of this help you out. When did this start to happen? Did you change anything before this started happening?

I done everything you said but still no luck. It just happened after i closed the computer down then i went to use it again. there were no changes to anything, I cant get into safe mode, it loads all the settings then reboots its self. I noticed just after the windows logo comes up it flashes up a blue screen for a second but i cant read what it says.

hey there
have a closer look at event viewer in safe mode.In event viewer under system applet go see if theres any warnings and post results. prob sounds hardware related but event viewer should indicate
??

I cant get into event viewer, wont go past the windows logo, just reboots .

have you tried safe mode tapping f8 continually before win logo screen?? can you go in via safe mode

blue screens can be caused by HW and SW

Hello
If you haven't finished with the problem yet, then to me it seems you have a virus type sasser. That was exactly what it did. You need to restore to a previous registry. A good example is given above. But this one is a nasty, because it comes back. So then when it starts-up (registry) make a new user and use that one, if you don't want it to come back !

No disrepect fellow posters but blue screens are not caused only by viruses.yes it is also symtoms of viruses but not always the case speaking of personal experience
But good info though

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.