Sorry it's me again so soon. On the computer I use to download music, surf the web, and post on forums (the one I'm doing right now) I recently got rid of an extremely harmful combo of viruses, spyware, malware, adware, browser helper objects, and much more... I learned my lesson (always check for software updates every Tuesday or once a week) Anyways, while sifting through the damage, I've noticed a rather annoying error. While I use Lavasoft's RegHance as my Registry Editor (I have a grudge with Microsoft because my Windows 98 SE disk I bought from them came with spyware on it made by them... It's just hard for me to trust them) when McAfee Virus Scan and McAfee Personal Firewall Plus update, they use RegEdit to update the registry and since the attacks on my computer, (This one's running Windows 98 SE) the only trace of RegEdit is the help files. This results in every five minutes McAfee wasting bandwith installing updates it has allready installed because the registry doesn't update. Whenever Updates install, I get the generic error message [cannot find the file 'regedit' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available] When I look on the internet for RegEdit, it is a program not made by microsoft and is not what I'm looking for. How can I restore RegEdit to Windows 98 SE without reformatting or reinstalling the OS?

~Kevin

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Go to Run ,and type in SFC and Restore missing or corrupt files

Go to Run ,and type in SFC and Restore missing or corrupt files

It gives me the message: cannot find the file 'SFC' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available

Does sfc.exe exist on your system, or is missing as well?

If it does exist, try double-clicking on its icon in Explorer to run it, or type the full path to sfc in the Run dialog:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SFC.EXE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.