Hi,

Currently, I am helping my office to buy a server to centralise the files, share of files and backup individual desktop and notebooks.

Our office which has a strength of 10 people is using LAN, so i guess for connectivity wise there's not much of a issue.

Currently, our office main issue is to backup every individual notebooks(wireless connection) and desktop(cable connection) in case there's a power failure or computer HDD crash and filesharing.

Please advise as to how to go about setting up one....Can anyone recommend me which server is worth of a buy?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

What I would recommend is that you should
have 2 Servers, 1 as a Server containing resources and 2 Backup Server.

If you are using 10 Computers in a Local Network,install WinXP with SP2 on each of them but on Servers you should have WinServer 2003.

What do you mean by having a backup of individual notebook and desktops?

Hi,

I am required to set up a server for my office consisting of 20 employees. We have remote offices in two other countries to which we have to connect to as well. An ftp utility is required. Kindly advise me

How to set it up?
What to look for and how to go about the whole project?
What may be the cost of the whole project?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Here are instructions for a Simple Redundant File Server setup.

1. Get a computer with Windows XP or greater that has SATA.
2. Install a couple or more of 1TB SATA HDDs ~$100 from tigerdirect.com.
3. Open compmgmt.msc from Run prompt in Start menu.
4. Convert the large disks to Dynamic disks under the disk management section.
5. Create a NTFS partition on one of the large disks and mirror it to the other(s) so they are redundant.
6. Create folders on the mirrored partition and share them.

-Ryan

Xp has a built-in ftp server under IIS. Use the native ftp client under network connections.

Cost should be about ~$200 if you already have the computer. XP and Server edition are the same almost...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.