Hi, I'm Fred.

I understand Computers somewhat but definitely no Expert.

I have a question about a Display Properties feature.

My Computer is an

HP 6738 Pavilion
Windows ME
700 Mhz
319 MB of Ram
Internet Explorer 6
Outlook Express 6

I have created custom colors and other features from "Display Properties" (appearance tab). Its an extensive amount of customizing everything from Scroll Bar width to Desktop Icon sizes. I'm not talking about selecting Large or Small Icons. What I'm doing is defining the size of Small & Large Icons, and a whole lot more. It takes Hours to do this (don't ask why I do it.. Its just one of those things)

In the "Display Properties" [Appearance] tab a little more than half way down and on the left there is an "Item" drop-down Menu. From this Menu one can select and modify each of the items.

After I have everything just the way I want it there is a button to the right to "Save as..." scheme. This is fine for switching back an forth from different Schemes, But when I need to Re-Format the Hard Drive all of my custom settings are Lost.

I need to save the custom Schemes to a Floppy. (so I can copy them back after Formatting the Hard Drive)

IS THERE A WAY TO SAVE THESE FILES TO A FLOPPY THEN COPY THEM BACK INTO THE LIST OF SCHEMES ? Not shouting, just desperate!

Re-creating this custom colors desktop from scratch every time after Formatting the hard drive is getting old & tiresome.

I use the "Save as.." button to enter a Filename and save the Scheme, but it does not offer Browsing to select where to save the Data. Or retrieve it.

Does anyone know if and/or how to save (Export / Import) a color Scheme to from a floppy.

I've tried searching the entire Hard drive for the names of the Color Schemes with no luck. [thinking maybe I could Drag & Drop] I select search All "Folder & Files". The Search will sometimes come up with a few similar filenames but not the files with the Custom Color and other Appearance settings.

Help..!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Fred,

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hello Fred,

I have the EXACT solution for your problem ;) since I'm still using Windows Me

Go to Start -> Run
Type REGEDIT and then press Enter
A program called 'Registry Editor' should run now.
As you see, there is a TreeView for registry data (Just as files in windows explorer). Go to the directory:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Appearance\Schemes"
then go to 'File' menu, choose 'Export', then save the file whereever you want.

To restore the settings after formatting, simply double-click on the saved file and choose 'Yes', all data will then be added to your registry.

Glad to help you :)

Note: If that's the solution for your problem; then please mark this thread as SOLVED so as to increase my reputation hehehe ;)

.:)

Drycola,

Thank you, Thank you,

You have ended the hours of repetitive drudgery. I've been delaying Sanitizing (Formatting) the Hard-drive on my *Me* for several months because of this annoying problem that You Have Solved.

Fred,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.