Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

Vista ultimate or premium?
I have xp pro on one of my machines and want to change to vista but I want to know if premium is worth it or should I go with ultimate? I have ultimate on my main machine and love it. My only reason is that I have a vista home premium disc that I have and it is fully legal but was wondering what the main difference would be. I seem to find it is very similar except for remote desktop which I think is important because I am networked. What would you do?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you are just a basic user getting Home premium is enough.

Here is a link to a comparison chart from MS. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

Like Doctor Inferno said. If the only thing you are planning to do the just the basic windows stuff than the Home Premium should be all that you need to be happy. Remember that even if you install the Ultimate version and spend the big dollars you may not get much more features unless you have really good upgraded hardware that supports the Ultimate version.

Premium. Ultimate just has a bit more fancy stuff, not worth it unless you NEED those extra fun stuff (like vid as your wallpaper). Also I assume that ultimate eats more ram etc. For the basics of household use gaming use and stuff go with premium, it serves me well on three laptops and two computers at home.

I like Vista Business...it doesn't have all of the toys, but you can join a domain and such. Before you upgrade, though, you should consider that Vista is more of a resource hog than XP...if youo don't have at least a gig of RAM and a dual core processor, you may be sorry you switched....just my opinion.

Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I don't run any of my machines xp, vista ultimate etc. under 2gb of ram. If you do you won't get the best of any machine. Especially for how cheap ram is. I have 4gb in my ultimate machine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.