Hi. I have just recently been experiencing an annoying delay on internet explorer when I click on links and sometimes when I hit enter for a google search. For instance..once i click on a link, the IE logo starts spinning, then after about 5-15 seconds i finally get a click and the page opens. Sometimes when I click a link the hand cursor will stay active until it clicks and opens the page. I have cleared the cache and deleted all temp internet files and restarted..this also seems to be occuring on a lesser degree on Firefox. Please, any help would be appreciated.

cole@aug.com

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Go here and post you log ,with a explanation of you problem Here

Please do this.
Download 'Hijack This!'. http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe
Save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Go here and post you log ,with a explanation of you problem Here

Will this program find anything that Ad-adware couldn't?
Thanks

Will this program find anything that Ad-adware couldn't?
Thanks

The 2 programs are recommended, as one will find things the other doesn't .

Hi miked- welcome to TechTalk :)

I've split your post into its own separate thread in the "Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties" forum; you can find it here:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?t=14536

I moved your post for 2 reasons:

1. HijackThis logs belong only in the Viruses, Spyware, and other Nasties" forum; sorry if caperjack's advice mislead you on that one.

2. We ask that members not add their questions to a thread previously started by another member. Members need to start their own threads for their questions, regardless of any possible similarity to questions already asked in other members' threads.

As you are a new member, please have a read through the following for a full description of our posting policies and rules of conduct:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

IE6 is just slow and likes taking its time. I stayed with IE5 for a long time because of this, but I was forced to upgrade to keep safe from security flaws.

Sounds like spyware man...if you're using AdAware make sure you're updating the signature file before you scan, I've noticed a lot of signature updates lately which tells me there's a lot of new stuff out there as well as more to come. The browser hijacks are so damn sneaky these days it's impossible to keep track of them all. Stupid question but have you cleared the cache lately...that will also cause this type of slowness. Any new toolbars showing up in IE? Have you checked Add/Remove Programs for any suspiscious programs...sometimes all you have to do is remove the junk from A/R Programs. Good luck.

SpyBot is another good program to use, hijackthis also really helps.

I tried SpyBot before, I prefer it.

I tried SpyBot before, I prefer it.

SpyBot and Ad Aware should both be used. One isn't a replacement for the other, but a compliment to the other, and one of them will often catch things the other misses. You should run them consecutively (order doesn't matter), rebooting after each has finished its fixes.

As for HijackThis, it is very helpful, but it can be dangerous if not used correctly. HijackThis doesn't really differentiate between the good and the bad; it simply reports the current state of certain areas of your system which are known to be vulnerable to malicious exploits. In other words, it's up to you to know which entries are valid, and which entries indicate malicious infections. If you have HJT "fix" a setting which is actually valid, you can seriously cripple parts of Windows.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.