Anyway... a year ago I've bought new PC and still kept old one to use for online purposes.
Few days ago I've changed GP card on new one, and it asked me to register windows online. Today it won't let me do anything until I register Windows online, the problem is I can't access anything on PC, not even control panel or network connections so I could connect online. Is there any way around this? I'm supposed to have original version of XP installed, I'm not 100% sure if I do since I didn't do instalation myself.

I've tried using ctrl+alt+delete to get to control panel over it, but nothing happens when combinations is pressed >_<.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Anyway... a year ago I've bought new PC and still kept old one to use for online purposes.
Few days ago I've changed GP card on new one, and it asked me to register windows online. Today it won't let me do anything until I register Windows online, the problem is I can't access anything on PC, not even control panel or network connections so I could connect online. Is there any way around this? I'm supposed to have original version of XP installed, I'm not 100% sure if I do since I didn't do instalation myself.

I've tried using ctrl+alt+delete to get to control panel over it, but nothing happens when combinations is pressed >_<.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Have you tried to activate it over the phone?

Well I didn't yet 'cause I don't have a phone. I do have cell phone but I'm out of credit atm. So I was hoping there's a way to still do it over net. I'm not even sure if there's support for Bosnia.

Well I didn't yet 'cause I don't have a phone. I do have cell phone but I'm out of credit atm. So I was hoping there's a way to still do it over net. I'm not even sure if there's support for Bosnia.

The problem is that you made a hardware change and now windows sees your system as a different computer. You will more then likely have to call to activate it. Even if you do get to the web to do it then it will more then likely not allow it online. You should have no problem over the phone. I have had to do this a few times when updating my hardware.

Unless you left the registration for over 10 days it is not windows that has locked you out but your PC has a problem. Go through the normal steps to see if you can access anything.

Alternative Start Mode

1. Re-boot PC, as it starts tap F8 several times until the windows boot window appears.
2. Scroll to “Start with last known good configuration.)
3. Press “Enter”

Or
1. Re-boot PC, as it starts tap F8 several times until the windows boot window appears.
2. Scroll to “Safe Mode” (With networking, if you want to access the internet)
3. Press “Enter”

System restore from Safe Mode.
1. Before safe mode starts a pop-up asks if you want to do a system repair, follow the prompts and do a system restore.

To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..

1. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
3. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
4. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
5. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
6. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R”
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
11. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. PC will re-boot.
13. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
14. Check to see if problem still exists.

"A few days" ... like 30 or more? So windows has locked you out. Curse Bill Gates for being so suspicious, then do the Repair as in Bob's post. That will reset the clock.. then do what the lil popup beseeches, and go online to activate. Heck, all you have to do is click the popup. And if you've had Windows [a valid copy] for more than a year validation will be granted no matter what hardware you change. Even M$ understands that technology progresses... well, other ppl's tech, anyway.
If you don't actually have an installation cd, borrow a like one... eg if you had XP Home SP2, get one of those cd's.

It's been more than 10 days (12-13).
I've tried calling, but as supposed Bosnian support doesn't work, it says number is not in use.

And when I've used these
Start with last known good configuration or
Safe mode (with networking)
it doesn't work, first one brings me to the same thing as when normalyy started, Safe mode (w.n.) tells me that I can't activate windows like this 'cause I can't register while in safe mode and reboots pc normaly.

When I've tried system restore from safe mode, I did restore to yesterday before I'll restart PC (out of fear not to lose anything important), still nothing happens.
Then I've tried Safe Mode and I can access everything (except network connections), so basically, I can play music, watch clips, play games etc.
Should I do system restore to some 10 days ago?
Do I lose anything else other than installations?

Last step I couldn't try, 'cause I don't have XP CD (or it's cd-key), although I'm supposed to have original Vista and XP installed, at least I was said I do have them. My father's friend installed them, 'cause I had Italian version of Vista installed on my PC when I bought it. And I don't know anyone else who has xp cd. And my father is out of country and I can't contact him to ask him about friend, so I guess only option is calling someone for repair (which I'd like to avoid 'cause here everyone only does repairs by formating).

Guess I'll have to check on microsoft site for some more info or maybe new phone number for costumer service. Thanks everyone for trying to help.

You have me going, if windows has locked you out a system restore is not going to change you sys clock and you will still be locked out.
Doing a system restore will not lose any work you have saved since your last use of PC except for any new programs you have installed or old ones you have deleted. The old deleted ones will still be there in some form but will not work and some new progs will not work.
I think you have a virus and you have not given enough information to let anyone know. Try doing a virus scan in safe mode!!
Guessing I would say you will need to buy a copy of windows XP and do a repair with that.

Microsoft is greedy. They think you bought XP after the last day it is supposed to be sold.

This kind of software registration demand should be illegal. It is too easily abused.

Well I've had to do international call after all, thanks everyone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.