I'm using win XP. When I goto start -> Turn off computer, the standby option is greyed i.e. it cant be selected. Also there is no Hibernate tab in the power options in control panel. Plz help! :cool:

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Check:

* That the power management functions are enabled in BIOS setup
* That the correct motherboard chipset drivers are loaded for your system

Check:

* That the power management functions are enabled in BIOS setup
* That the correct motherboard chipset drivers are loaded for your system

I have a similar problem. When i go on the start menu and press turn off i get the turn off option and reset option but the standby option is greyed and i cannot click it. When i press shift nothing happens. This problem started occuring immediately after i reinstalled windows xp home sp2 on my dell dimension 9100. I do not know anything about power management functions and how to get into bios setup and i have no idea of correct motherboard chipest drivers for my system. I need help!

I have a similar problem. When i go on the start menu and press turn off i get the turn off option and reset option but the standby option is greyed and i cannot click it. When i press shift nothing happens. This problem started occuring immediately after i reinstalled windows xp home sp2 on my dell dimension 9100. I do not know anything about power management functions and how to get into bios setup and i have no idea of correct motherboard chipest drivers for my system. I need help!

Follow Catweazle's advice. You definitely need to download chipset drivers:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R96614&formatcnt=1&fileid=125390

Are you sure it's not an Inspiron 9100? If it is, here's the chipset driver for that:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R58370&formatcnt=1&fileid=70519

I don't know about the chipset thing, but I ran into the same problem and had to download the latest video driver. Windows XP cannot go into Standby mode with the default VGA driver. Go to the Dell support site and navigate until you find the latest video driver for your machine. Download it and follow the installation instructions. Good luck!

Installing video card drivers *sometimes* fixes this option. It just all depends though really.

I don't know about the chipset thing, but I ran into the same problem and had to download the latest video driver. Windows XP cannot go into Standby mode with the default VGA driver. Go to the Dell support site and navigate until you find the latest video driver for your machine. Download it and follow the installation instructions. Good luck!

Sorry i made a mistake. I have a dimension 8400. U said i need a video driver. There are so many and i dunno which one i need.

I also have the same problem if I dont install the video card drivers ... when I install the drivers .. everything goes well.

I have the same problem as those listed above but my computer is a laptop Toshiba Satellte A75 model S-206 how do I get to the Bios and what di I change there and where do I get those chipsets and drivers you're talking about

I have the same problem as those listed above but my computer is a laptop Toshiba Satellte A75 model S-206 how do I get to the Bios and what di I change there and where do I get those chipsets and drivers you're talking about

Hi,and welcome to Daniweb ,you really should start your own thread for best help, explain you problem in detail stating make and model # of the laptop ,this thread was started 6 yrs ago ,things have changed just go here and click on start new thread ,up close to top of the page thanks ,and good luck ,
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum10.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.