Hello all good folks at Dani Web !!!!!!
I have an Emachine, W3050, Windows XP Home edition.
It had MANY viruses,maleware etc... I got it clean to where SpyBot and Super Antispyware gives me a clean report ! Yeah !
I ran quite a few "cleaners" , including ComboFix. Now, I CAN NOT get this computer to bring up a web page ! If ya try to bring up any page , it says..... "The page cannot be displayed".
I have reinstalled SP2, put in a Ethernet card, went through all the steps in the " NEW CONNECTION WIZZARD, went into LAN settings and made sure that it AUTOMATICALY DETECTS SETTINGS. Rebooted, checked my "packets, sent 74, rec.3697 Tried to get on Google, THE PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED". Hit REPAIR, it couldn't repair, dern it. Rebooted. When I rebooted, I noticed that both little monitors in the task bar blinked, so I checked the packets again, Sent 77, rec. 2435. Then I checked my restricted sites to see if Google happened to be on the restricted sites list. There were NO sites listed on the restricted sites list. I went ahead and added Google to the TRUSTED sites list. Packets, sent 94, rec. 2435. Rebooted. Two little monitors in taskbar blinked, I checked the packets again, sent 57, rec. 2635, tried Google, same results. I turned off Zonealarm, tried Google, same results. Rebooted to "SAFEMODE", with Networking, tried Google & Dell . com, same results. Shut computer off, gritted my teeth and here I am.
I tried to get the original ethernet connection to work and got the same results, so I installed the ethernet card.
I think one of the Antivirus cleaners such as Combofix, has done something that I can't seem to fix.
Anyone out there care to help me get this computer to hook up to the net ?

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

You have started on the right track, here are a few more things to try to see if you can get it going.

A lot of problems can be fixed with a simple solution, please try to one or, if necessary, all of the following to try and get your PC working again. Start at the first, working your way to the last, that is, if you are able to access the programs shown. If you know your way around a PC, I am sorry for the full details but this is to help people that don’t know how.

Check Disk

1. Right click your disk drive icon (normally “C”),
2. Click “Properties.”
3. Click “Tools”
4. In “Error checking” click “Check Now”
5. Check the 2 boxes, “Automatically fix file system errors” and “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”
6. Click “Start”
7. At the pop-up window “The disk check could not……” Click “Yes”
8. Re-boot your PC and allow disk checker to start. (Do not press any key before it starts)

Check Disk from Boot

1. Re-boot PC, after the single “Beep” tap F8 several times until the windows boot window appears.
2. Scroll to “Safe Mode with command prompt”
3. At command prompt Type “ chkdsk /f” (Note;- Space after chkdsk.)

Alternative Start Mode

1. Re-boot PC, after the single “Beep” tap F8 several times until the windows boot window appears.
2. Scroll to “Start with last known good configuration.)
3. Press “Enter”

Or
4. Re-boot PC, after the single “Beep” tap F8 several times until the windows boot window appears.
5. Scroll to “Safe Mode” (With networking, if you want to access the internet)
6. Press “Enter”

Verify Window’s Files

1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow /f (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC

System Restore from boot

2. Scroll to “Safe Mode” and press “Enter”
3. A window will open asking if you want to use “System Restore”
4. Select “Cancel” to enter “System Restore”
5. Ensure “Restore to an earlier time” is checked and click “Next”
6. Select an earlier date when your PC worked well. (Must be a highlighted date)
7. Click “Next”
8. Allow system restore and reboot.
9. Check to see if problem still exists.

System Restore

1. Go “Start”
2. “All programs”
3. “Accessories”
4. “System tools”
5. “System Restore”
6. Ensure “Restore to an earlier time” is checked and click “Next”
7. Select an earlier date when your PC worked well. (Must be a highlighted date)
8. Click “Next”
9. Allow system restore and reboot.
10. Check to see if problem still exists.

Clean Boot

1. Go “Start”
2. “Run”
3. Type “msconfig”
4. Click “OK”
5. Click “Services”
6. Check box “Hide all Microsoft services”
7. Click “Disable All”
8. Click “Apply”
9. Click “Restart”
10. System will reboot, Check if problem still exists. (Do not access the internet or open any file you are unsure of as you have no virus protector running.)
11. If problem is fixed, enable the disabled items 1 at a time until you find the one causing the problem. If not fixed, re-enable all and re-boot.

If you have not installed Service Pack 3 yet, do a Windows repair, if you have installed it, first try…..

Post a detailed report

Go to:- www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html download and run Hijack this. “Do not try to do any repairs yourself.” Save the report and send it with your next post along with any error logs.
To check error logs, go to “START” “RUN” type “eventvwr.msc” Click “OK” and check if there any errors in the logs. Include any information that could help:-
1. What were you doing on the PC when the problem occurred?
2. Does it happen every time you do this?
3. What progs are running as well?
4. What have you done to fix this problem?
5. How long has the problem been happening?
6. Have you installed/uninstalled or updated any progs recently?
7. Any other information that may help resolve your problem. Remember, no one here can see your PC; you are the only one that can tell someone else about the problem.

To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..

1. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
3. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
4. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
5. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
6. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R”
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
11. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. PC will re-boot.
13. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
14. Check to see if problem still exists.

I'm working on all your instructions and I'm down the the error reports. I will finish it all tonight when I get home from work. Thanks a million for the reply !!!!!!!
So far , none of this has helped but keep working with me please.
Thanks !

Let us all know how you go!!

Let us all know how you go!!

Ok, I did everything you suggested, except System Restore only had the day that I installed SP3 on it. It is turned on but didn't have any previous dates to restore to !?!?!?!?
Nobody knows when the internet quit working for sure. I looked in the "logs" and there were many errors listed. I tried to do a "repair" of the internet connection to see if that would create an error that I could relate this to, but it didn't. Under the heading of "Internet"
there were no errors listed.
Should I leave the Ethernet card in and still keep trying to get that to work or pull the card and just try to get the computers original port to work ? In the device manager, everything looks good and all the properties say that all devices are working. I'm at a loss !
Any more suggestions ?
Thanks for all the great advice so far !
By the way, I have AVG completely turned off for now.
Right now the packets says..... sent 937 & rec. 17
Also wanted to let ya read these....
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 12:55:46 PM, on 9/22/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP3 (6.00.2900.5512)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\shwiconem.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ie/defaults/sb/msgr8/*http://www.yahoo.com/ext/search/search.html
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunKistEM] C:\Program Files\Digital Media Reader\shwiconem.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMS] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Logitech\QCDriver\LVCOMS.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Lexmark X1100 Series] "C:\Program Files\Lexmark X1100 Series\lxbkbmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Creative Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [MySpaceIM] C:\Program Files\MySpace\IM\MySpaceIM.exe (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\nwprovau.dll
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://ny.contentmatch.net (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://click.getmirar.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://click.mirarsearch.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://redirect.mirarsearch.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://awbeta.net-nucleus.com (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (Installation Support) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\Yinsthelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {3107C2A8-9F0B-4404-A58B-21BD85268FBC} -
O16 - DPF: {7E980B9B-8AE5-466A-B6D6-DA8CF814E78A} -
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {EF148DBB-5B6D-4130-B2A1-661571E86260} -
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

--
End of file - 4690 bytes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last diagnostic run time: 09/22/08 12:51:42 Network Adapter Diagnostic
Network location detection

info Using home Internet connection
Network adapter identification

info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection 2, Device=Linksys NC100 Fast Ethernet Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection , Device=NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
warn This machine has more than one Ethernet or more than one Wireless adapter
info Redirecting user to support call

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

well I am at a loss as well, you have done a repair of windows XP and still the problem exists. I am not good at reading HJT logs but I can not see anything wrong in yours.
Hopefully, one of the resident experts can find something there and steer you in the right direction.
Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

well I am at a loss as well, you have done a repair of windows XP and still the problem exists. I am not good at reading HJT logs but I can not see anything wrong in yours.
Hopefully, one of the resident experts can find something there and steer you in the right direction.
Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

MY BAD !!!! I also for got to mention that I did not use the XP cd because there isn't one. I did all of the other things in you list though. I'm sorry I for got to tell you that !!!!!

Can you beg borrow or steal a copy of XP from one of your friends to do a XP repair, if not you will have to purchase a new XP and do it from that.
You have some corruption there and unless you can start in some form, you can do nothing about it.

Sorry

I do have a "COPY " of Windows XP from another computer. What all do I have to do ? Just insert the disc before the computer boots up ?

To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..

1. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
3. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
4. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
5. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
6. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R”
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
11. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. PC will re-boot.
13. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
14. Check to see if problem still exists.

Will I loose all the pic's and music on the computer when I repair it ? Will I also loose all the saved emails ?

Read item 5 on my post.
You will only lose SP3 if you have it installed and your AVG serial number if you use AVG Free.

Ok, sorry I have been gone ! Our work has picked up and I've been having to go into work early every day. I will do all that has been suggested on this Sunday. Thanks for being patient with me !!!!!

Please let us know how you get on.

Please let us know how you get on.

Ok, heres the update........
I put in the CD, select F10 to go to BOOT menu, select "boot from CDROM,pressed the "N" key , when asked to select any key to continue, Windows Setup begins loading files, I press the letter "R" for REPAIR, then the computer screen goes to a black screen with the following on it :
Microsoft Windows XP(TM) Recovery Console
The recovery console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Consol and restart the computer.

1: H:\miniNT
2: C:\Windows
Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(To cancel, press ENTER)
---------------------------------------------------------
I can't seem to go any further in this screen. I have pressed 1 and nothing happens. So then I pressed 1 and then I hit eneter and nothing happends. I also tried rebooting and hitting the number 2 on the second try..... it goes into a DOS Mode. Asking for comands. . If I just hit ENTER, the computer reboots.
What should I do now ???

You are pressing R in 1 screen too early and going into the repair console. Wait until windows highlights your version of windows and asks which version do you want to repair.

Ok, my bad !
While copying the new repair, I ran into a BUNCH of error popups that said.....
Copy Error
Setup cannot copy the file:
....and so far there have been 70 items listed. Some of them , when I chose to bypass that file said that WINDOWS MAY NOT WORK CORRECTLY IF I CANCEL THAT FILE. I have stoped in the middle of installing to ask for your advice what to do. Is this computer even gonna run when I finish the repair ?

Ok, my bad !
While copying the new repair, I ran into a BUNCH of error popups that said.....
Copy Error
Setup cannot copy the file:
....and so far there have been 70 items listed. Some of them , when I chose to bypass that file said that WINDOWS MAY NOT WORK CORRECTLY IF I CANCEL THAT FILE. I have stoped in the middle of installing to ask for your advice what to do. Is this computer even gonna run when I finish the repair ?

The computer is still part way through the repair. I have left the computer in this state till I hear from you.

Sounds like your CD or drive is dirty. Clean the CD and run again, if you still have the same problem, get a CD lens cleaner and run it through your drive.

I am not sure but I think in most cases if windows can not copy a new file it will use the old one.

Can you copy the CD to another blank CD on another PC and try that?

Can you borrow another CD?

Can you borrow another CD drive??

Sorry I could not be of more help. If you come here I will fix it for you, LOL (Philippines)

Lets see.....from you to me is about 2,000 times what this computer cost...lol
I have about 6 copies of this CD and I will try another copy. The computer I believe had SP3 on it and this disk was only SP1. Does that matter ?
Also, every time I click cancel, it just brings up another file that it couldn't copy. So far there have been about 85 files. Do I just turn the computer off ? Will this mess anything up ? It is still running.
Let me know, please.

Well, I canceled it out and when the computer rebooted, it is stuck on the " Windows XPP Home Edition" screen, and it says please wait........it's been waiting for 2 hrs now. What do I do now ?

This computer is still stuck on the Windows XP screen. Do I shut the computer off and retry another disc ? It's been 3 hrs now. I sure hope this thing isn't wiped out.

LOL....This computer has been stuck on the same Windows page now for 5 hrs. and I'm not doing anything with it till ya let me know what to do ! LOL

It will want to start the install again but you should be able to stop it and boot normally

That worked to get the internet connection to work BUT.....
I had to use another copy of Windows to do the repair and now this computer is giving me messages about "insatlling a GENUINE copy of Windows. I used a GENUINE copy to do the repair. I entered the "product key" found on the back of the machine first and that didn't work. Then I typed in my product key from the repair cd and that didn't work either. Now what ?

OK....Got that fixed and the computer seems to be fine. You have been AWSOME to work with and I really appreciate all your help ! I hope to help others one day as you have helped me !

You are most welcome, I just glad I could help you in any way.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.