I have no Doubt that Zone Alarm is the Best and simple Firewall. I have used not Long time but it is promising! I have stuck with Avast for Long now and haven't Let me down, So I will stick with it! The Problem is, I used to have ASquared from giveaway and was very powerful! I formatted my HDD and I lost it! Now my Question is Which Antispyware is best but free? I don't want to u$$e my $ for antispyware but need reasonably powerful antispyware

Thanks for your contibution,
Steve

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I use Avast! and am protected on all the computers on my LAN. However, that isn't enough today...take a look in daniweb for a discussion about security...if you set up your computer the way these guys tell you, you'll be OK - I did.

I would question Zone Alarm, it is very good i have to agree. However it can get very tempramental and be a major cause of blue screens, Comodo is a very good firewall as long as you have the paitents to fully configure it.

Every incoming connection of any kinda requires your approval, so full configuration can take some time but can prove very helpful.

Chris

I recommend SuperAntispyware

I have to say that Spybot Search and Destroy is probably the best anti-spyware package. It is free and does a pretty thorough cleaning but I usually run Ad-Aware also because sometimes they catch different things.

And of course there is spywareblaster - Prevents the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
# Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
# Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

I use Spybot search and Destroy , this has free updates,
Removes trojans and lots of viruses :cool: . Guyz give this a try

I still have not gotten over my paranoia about M$ from their introduction of Windows Genuine Advantage - they snuck it in with no warning or anything during one of their upgrades. When geeks found it and screamed loudly about its 'phone home' capabilities, M$ finally made it public. I refuse to let it out (locked up by ZA) and run it locally whenever I need to verify my machine to them.

Also, if you go to any site that rates security software, Defender rates at best mediocre. So I shut that thing down but that is just me.

How do I uninstall win defender. It chokes me to be there! I have to remove it, help!

How do I uninstall win defender. It chokes me to be there! I have to remove it, help!

I don't think you can uninstall it cuz it is now built into the OS but you can disable it by going into system services and disable it.

Other good free anti-spyware, AVG version 8.0 has both Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, so you can kill 2 birds with one stone, although i still prefer Sbybot for a full system clense. Spybot is very fast and very good in my opinion. Highly recommend it

Avast is good, i use it and i like it, its a good security software

I don't think you can uninstall it cuz it is now built into the OS but you can disable it by going into system services and disable it.

Stopped services and disabled!

Still love to see what others here use. I have tried Giant Anti.... but is very limited. I want full version, so After gettin what I want I will remove it! AVG? No! Because I want Avast to remain as my Virus scanner!

Thanks Guys, waiting for more Advices
Steve

I have tried Giant Anti.... but is very limited.
Steve

microsoft bought Giant ,thats what windows Defender is !

I use spybot,and its Immunize ,and malwarebytes along with symantecs anti virus,on xp not vista !

is there standalone AVG 8 Antispyware?
I will visit them later but if it exixts, let me know

is there standalone AVG 8 Antispyware?
I will visit them later but if it exixts, let me know

Not anymore but they did do this ! it's complete internet security.antivirus and antispyware in one
http://free.avg.com/

Have they changed their website address, cause i swear it used to be free.grisoft.com ?

But AVG 8.0 is the best free anti-virus and anti-spyware package.

But AVG 8.0 is the best free anti-virus and anti-spyware package.

yes ,but if im correct i don't think the spyware function is real time in the free version

I think your right caperjack, just looking at mine now, it doesnt seem to be real time.

I think your right caperjack, just looking at mine now, it doesnt seem to be real time.

didn't thins ,but if you look further ,you will see you can now pay for your AVG and it will become active

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.