Fafnir 0 Newbie Poster

I have a laptop running Vista Business 64bit Edition (SP1) with Office 2003 SP3 installed (version number 11.8169.8172). It encounters severe slow downs or goes unresponsive for 30-60 seconds at a time when first opening documents on a network share with Word or Excel, or when running Outlook using word as the editor and creating new emails/replying. This also happens when saving documents after the machine has been idle for a short time. This does not happen when opening documents from the local disk. The user has the same network permissions as they did when using 32bit XP Pro machines running Office 2003 which had no problems doing the same operations. The laptop sits in a docking station, but is not set to enter sleep mode. I have reinstalled both Office and Vista on separate occasions but this doesn’t seem to have changed anything.

This is driving me nuts as I can’t find anything specific to the problem on google (unless I'm missing something obvious), or anything relevant beyond faulting application logs when word hangs completely in the event log. If any further information/logs/etc is required please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!