hi guys, I'm having problems trying to upgrade ram, the pc is currently 512mb and i'm trying to put in 2gb, the pc is able to take it, i checked before i bought the ram, i have tried a single 2gb stick and two 1gb sticks but it just wont boot, my os is win xp and the ram spec is pc 4200, 533mhz ddr2, the same as the single 512mb thats installed.
Can anyone help me please??? is there any settings i can change or am i just over looking something simple???

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

hi guys, I'm having problems trying to upgrade ram, the pc is currently 512mb and i'm trying to put in 2gb, the pc is able to take it, i checked before i bought the ram, i have tried a single 2gb stick and two 1gb sticks but it just wont boot, my os is win xp and the ram spec is pc 4200, 533mhz ddr2, the same as the single 512mb thats installed.
Can anyone help me please??? is there any settings i can change or am i just over looking something simple???

maybe ,are we suppose to guess you motherboard makers name,and the model you bought .

sorry, forgot those details, ill check it out and re post it

the motherboard is pm8pm, ms-7222 (v1.x) micro atx main board.

yeah it boots fine wit the 512, i managed to boot it with the 512 and one 1gig stick but it will only recognise 960mb but with the two 1gig sticks all i get is a prolonged beep.

yeah it boots fine wit the 512, i managed to boot it with the 512 and one 1gig stick but it will only recognise 960mb but with the two 1gig sticks all i get is a prolonged beep.

what happens with just one of the 1 gig stick in,also try switching the 512 and the 1 gig around

it wont boot with just one stick of 1gig i just get that beep, and ive tried switching them around and when it boots it wont recognise full amount of ram

weird .something not right with the new ram !

yeah its weird alright, thanks anyway, think i'll bring it to a pro cause i'm not too good with this sort of thing, cheers.

yeah its weird alright, thanks anyway, think i'll bring it to a pro cause i'm not too good with this sort of thing, cheers.

some time a good idea!
all you can do is just make sure that you are pushing the ram in correctly

As far as it only registering the 960 instead of a full gig is quite common. Sharing ram with a video card, etc. will show a smaller amount of "ready" ram. Don't worry about that, it is normal-but I am not quite sure why it will not allow you to use 2-1gig cards...Are they DDr? and if they are are they 1,2, or 3? Let us know how it goes!

As far as it only registering the 960 instead of a full gig is quite common. Sharing ram with a video card, etc. will show a smaller amount of "ready" ram. Don't worry about that, it is normal-but I am not quite sure why it will not allow you to use 2-1gig cards...Are they DDr? and if they are are they 1,2, or 3? Let us know how it goes!

that is true, for sure ,but the way i read it he had the 512 & the 1 gig in when it says 960 ,i think 552 is a bit much for shared video .
can see the bios being set to that giving that he only had 512 meg in to begin with .I have see where one chip would cancel out the other ,because they didn't match ,but usually the other way round to his problem

commented: you always seem to catch everyting :) +2

that is true, for sure ,but the way i read it he had the 512 & the 1 gig in when it says 960 ,i think 552 is a bit much for shared video .
can see the bios being set to that giving that he only had 512 meg in to begin with .I have see where one chip would cancel out the other ,because they didn't match ,but usually the other way round to his problem

I must have missed that reading through the first time...thanks for keeping me on my toes! I hear you on the the cancel, but I am clueless as to why it won't go the other way...I will have to check into this a bit more...

, but I am clueless as to why it won't go the other way....

yeah ,me to ,gotta be something wrong with the new ram ,maybe unbuffered when it needs' to be buffered or vice versa

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.