Hi to all the good folks at DaniWeb !!!
I have a Emachine W3503, Windows XP, Serive Pack 3. This computer had MANY viruses on it. I got them cleaned. Spybot, Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes all say I'm clean now.
The internet works fine and the whole computer seems to have no problems, but.....AVG 8 , will not update at all. I have turned off Zone Alarm and tried to update. I have uninstalled and reinstalled AVG 8 and that didn't help. I've looked at my settings in Zone Alarm and they all allow AVG to do what it wants. I looked to see if Windows firewall was on but when I tried to look, a pop-up said that :
"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service."
I have another computer that will not update AVG 8 automatically, but does just fine manualy.
Another computer that I fixed 2 months ago, was updating AVG 8 automatically just fine then one day it just quit updating and now it won't update.
Is there something I'm doing wrong here....all of a sudden ? I want to keep using AVG products but this is gettin crazy !
Any and all help will be very much appreciated !!!!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

try removing spybot

yeah spybot is rubbish and tends to break things

Thank you both for such a quick response !!!!!
I removed Spoybot and now all is well ! We are up to date !!!!!
Thanks a million !

I think spybot has some new features that should not be install when install spybot ,i usually just install to remove/clean computer,then uninstall it

its the resident protection, seems to just break things sometimes.

i do the same. Install it to clean, but hardly any more - spybot doesnt catch that many modern spywares

I had the same trouble, and recycled Spybot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.