I pulled a Gateway hard drive and installed it into an older Dell I had. The built in Ethernet did not connect to the internet when I plugged in the cat 5 cable.

I put in a Belkin card and I got a "Fatal Error" Message. "No lan board found on your system. Never got that kind of message before. Both the Dell and the Gateway had built in Ethernet. why is it not seeing the LAN board?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Sounds like a defective card.

The built in Ethernet did not connect to the internet when I plugged in the cat 5 cable.

correct drivers are not installed for the device ,check device manager for errors in network section

commented: nice job, I got distracted by the error. +2

"a Gateway hard drive and installed it into an older Dell I had."

When using the other HDD on the Dell system, you need to install the Dell chipset driver and reboot the PC.

After the Dell PC reboot, go through the LAN card driver again.

Hope this helps!
Bill

I guess I got distracted by the error message after you inserted the new card, they're right, getting the on-board network adapter to work is the best option.

I took the Dell installed program disk and reformatted the Gateway hard drive. Now the Belkin Ethernet card works. Thank you for the help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.