hey all,Ok, about 3 weeks ago, I finally ventured into installin SP2. Well ever since, the "search" utility is crap. Whenever I try to find a file, it freezes. Never finds anything. Is there a way I can repair it? I have the Google desktop search, but that doesn't search for every type of file (in fact, its very limited). i have tried goto Start>Run>type C:\Windows\inf
look for a file called srchasst.inf
right click it and click Install
insert the XP CD when prompts
and let it complete the installtion ....then i rebooted & all was fine .then next reboot the search menu wasn"t working .any help ?????????? ...yes i know bout the google desk top search........STAY SAFE

Have you not tried going to Start, then Search, then Files & Folders, type in your file name and let XP do your search? I have installed SP2 on ten different computers with no problems.

Have you not tried going to Start, then Search, then Files & Folders, type in your file name and let XP do your search? I have installed SP2 on ten different computers with no problems.

yep tried that & havent had any problems on other comps either ???? so looking for any answers????? ......STAY SAFE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.