I just bought a 21" used monitor for my IBM, running ME. It has RGB plugs at the monitor end and a 15 pin adapter with some 'sliding' pins on it. It isn't working in the present config and am wondering if there is a site I can go to to find out what 'code' or sliding pin config I need to get it to work. I'm no techie; very basic computer knowledge, living on a budget,and would really like this 21" to work. Thanks for any help....Bill

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Firstly, can you post the make and model of the monitor?

Are the "sliding" pins on the RGB connectors, or the 15-pin one?

If they're on the RGB connectors (aka barrel connectors), you'll either 3, 4, or 5 of them. If you have five, those correspond to Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal, and Vertical. The H and V are the syncs, and you may need to unplug either one or both of them to work. If you have four barrels, disconnect the H/V and try it. If you have three, see the last paragraph.

Aside from that, you'll probably have to crank up your refresh rate in the Display properties. Make sure all five (or four) barrels are plugged in If the above doesn't work, go to the properties, put the refresh rate to something like 85 or 100Hz, hit apply, (Don't depress any more keys during this step) and disconnect the current monitor, then plug in the new one, power too, don't forget that! It helps to have some space to work with during this. If you get anything at all to show up, then you may just have to disconnect one of the barrels from the back of the monitor to get it to work correctly.

Now, if neither of those work, you'll probably need a sync-on-green adaptor.

www.si87.com

First: The monitor literally does not have a name/label/model # anywhere...a beige box......then the sliding pins are on the 15 pin connector...labeleed one thru 9,can slide up or down.....random trying of posotions gets me rolling video, or black out,etc....don't get any 'picture' of any kind....thanks....

p.s. it has three plugs on the other end, which I plugged into the red blue green receptacles....

First: The monitor literally does not have a name/label/model # anywhere...a beige box......then the sliding pins are on the 15 pin connector...labeleed one thru 9,can slide up or down.....random trying of posotions gets me rolling video, or black out,etc....don't get any 'picture' of any kind....thanks....

I'm not sure what you mean by sliding pins then...

Is there anyway you can take a picture of the connector? If no camera, you could use a scanner if you have one.

No label on the back that has the make and model of it? lol This just got way more difficult than it had to be.

I just bought a 21" used monitor for my IBM, running ME. It has RGB plugs at the monitor end...

You need a new cable, basically. The cylindrical connectors on the monitor itself are known as BNC or bayonet connectors (because of how the plugs are secured). How many are there? Usually 5, as most of these are made by Sony, though this does vary. Also, the model number sticker may be on the front--look at the front-bottom edge (the lowest front-facing surface at the bottom of the front bezel).

Once we figure out what you have, I can tell you what you need and where you can get it. I used to specialize in the repair of this class of monitor...

adapter with some 'sliding' pins on it.

Is it A or B?

Click to enlarge.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.