Hi there Daniweb new friends,

I am a new member and the idea to join you came after seen a similar "issue" on this site.
I have among other pc's this SONY VAIO VGN-FS285M- XP HOME+SP3, Office Pro 2007, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, Bootable in partition 1. c:\ in English and partition 2. d:\ in Turkish, working before perfectly well.
To recover I only have the 9 System & Application Recovery CD's produced by me after 2006 purchase, which I don't plan to use because it means 2 full days job to restore the whole set (all updates of Windows, SP2 and 3, Office Pro 07, Norton etc. etc.
The problem started after setting in Registry Winlogon of drive c:\ the DefaultPassword to get a quick logon and then very stupidly changing the Username (into that of my Girl) the system got "crazy". I put back my own Username and DefaultPassworld but by then the system was no more OK and no improvements. Total chaos!!! I then ran Registry Mechanics of PCTools from an old CD and over 300 errors/problems were solved, though the installed updated version of this program was also no more available. No Internet and no Explorer and above all an empty User Accounts applet. I got Explorer page back only after un-installing Explorer 7. No possibility to Run System Restore either, not even in Save Mode. No Repair (R) using XP Pro’s CD. No results whatsoever also after a few recommended Registry's commands in Run. Both connections (Ethernet and Wireless) totally absent, although Windows open very slowly and immediately try to install again and again Registry Mechanics, which it runs thereafter and at times finds files to be sorted.
The cloned Windows system on drive d:\ works perfectly well and is serving currently as the active backup. From that end I can look into drive c:\ to see in System Tools that System Restore is active on both Drives, though it isn’t when starting it from partition c:\.
In order to use drive d:\ to repair c:\’s registry I have also changed language and keyboard settings into UK standards.
What else can I do to fix the problem without radical measures as in Computer Management the c:\ partition is the boot and d:\ the system? I don’t wish to call Microsoft to be authorized to re- install Office Pro 2007 again and again because of my "stupidity".
Can any one of you clever boys and girls help me?
I'd very grateful and very happy to have joined such a good looking DainWeb.
Thank you!
With kindest regards
"Sanchopancha" de la Mancha

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

OK: if D: is a clone of C: and everything you want is on D: including all your files etc then this is easy.

go start-my computer. rightclick d:, rename it as 'good'
then rename c: as 'bad'

download and install xxclone onto d:
run it. from (good)
select (good): as source and (bad) as target.

NOT c: d:, because windows mixes up drive letters, but not drive names
go to cool tools, make bootable, make sure that the target is your good installation
select all three tick boxes, and start.

go back to the main menu (operation mode tab)

make sure source= good and target=bad
click start
read the warning.
be sure.
confirm it.

when windows starts next time, you will be able to select whether to load off "windows xp" or "xxcclone" (this is a dual boot menu)
select winxp
should be fine after this.

you can customise that menu from
control panel(classic mode) system-advanced-startup and shutdown-
select your default
show how long you want those items to display
easy peasy.

if things are not perfect on your good version, make them perfect before you start.

Stick in the XP pro cd

go to run and type sfc /scannow

will check for corrupted system files and restore them from the cd

The moral of the story is never ever ever to change your username. it causes big problems.

is that how its done.

...thats a bit easier.

they didn't show me THAT at TSHK (The Skool of Hard Knocks)

"No possibility to Run System Restore either, not even in Save Mode."
Ah, but have you had SR enabled? Cos if you have restore points available we can fish those out and plug them into your registry.
Try to get SR running by navigating to C\windows\inf, and dclicking sr.inf; choose Install.
If it works after that, then fine. If not, then because you are still able to start in your C: drive OS there is a workaround to get at those restore points. Say if you want it.

Absolutely perfect solution, which I will definitely adopt after I have retrieved my Office Outlook files from drive c:\ and I have fixed the same application on drive d:\ which is the only problem I have there.
Anyway, your step by step description of reversing the cloning from d: to c: sounds firt class. I had that option in my mind though I wouldn't have considered without knowing exactly how to execute it. Thank you very much. I'm grateful to you.

There is however something I need to add to my initial problem description. Window-Installer has been damaged by using Spotmau PowerSuite 2007 Bootable CD to retrieve Administrators Password in conjunction with my naive change of Username and needs to be reinstalled. I have followed MS kb/315346 by renaming *.old 3 system32 files and after downloading KB/893803 it ended in nothing done simply because the SP3 is newer than that solution. Also un-installing SP3 to clear the air was not successfull as the file cannot be found.

Unless I can repair WindowInstaller, which is causing the continunous installing of Registry Mechanics at each start, no internet etc.. etc.. I will have no other option but to follow your clever suggestion and rest in peace.
What about upgrading to Vista Ultimate? it's a cost and would all the c:\ files be retained?

Any idea about that?
Cheeers!

OK: if D: is a clone of C: and everything you want is on D: including all your files etc then this is easy.

go start-my computer. rightclick d:, rename it as 'good'
then rename c: as 'bad'

download and install xxclone onto d:
run it. from (good)
select (good): as source and (bad) as target.

NOT c: d:, because windows mixes up drive letters, but not drive names
go to cool tools, make bootable, make sure that the target is your good installation
select all three tick boxes, and start.

go back to the main menu (operation mode tab)

make sure source= good and target=bad
click start
read the warning.
be sure.
confirm it.

when windows starts next time, you will be able to select whether to load off "windows xp" or "xxcclone" (this is a dual boot menu)
select winxp
should be fine after this.

you can customise that menu from
control panel(classic mode) system-advanced-startup and shutdown-
select your default
show how long you want those items to display
easy peasy.

if things are not perfect on your good version, make them perfect before you start.

Stick in the XP pro cd

go to run and type sfc /scannow

will check for corrupted system files and restore them from the cd

The moral of the story is never ever ever to change your username. it causes big problems.

Excellent idea of which I had no knowledge. I ran it using XP Pro CD and it went through smoothly ending after a while in silence with no report and other indication. No imporvement at all.

In the mentime I found out that the real issue is the WindowsInstaller damaged by using Spotmau PowerSuite 2007 Bootable CD in conjunction with my naive idea of changing Username.

By following the instructions contained in KB/315346 I have tried to re-install WindowsInstaller via KB893803 downloaded from drive d:\ and saved on drive c:\ though when installing it the system responds that SP3 is newer than such solution. No result. I also tried to un-install SP3, which also ends with no file found.

I have a solution by cloning back d:\ to c:\ by following a certain procedure after retrieving all my Office Outlook files but I also wonder if it would be a good idea to upgrade c:\ XP HOME to Vista Ultimate. Any idea about that?
Thank you again!
Cheers!

"No possibility to Run System Restore either, not even in Save Mode."
Ah, but have you had SR enabled? Cos if you have restore points available we can fish those out and plug them into your registry.
Try to get SR running by navigating to C\windows\inf, and dclicking sr.inf; choose Install.
If it works after that, then fine. If not, then because you are still able to start in your C: drive OS there is a workaround to get at those restore points. Say if you want it.

Wow! Your suggestion sounds very challenging. I want to have a go after I have had my gym session at Nirvana (Berskshire, England). It would be interesting to have also the workaround in case I need it, which I believe it might be needed considering the previous experiences made so far. Have a look at my other replies which contains new elements at the real crunch and when it started.
Thank you for your kind offer!
Cheers!

it went through smoothly ending after a while in silence with no report and other indication

its supposed to do that

Wow! Your suggestion sounds very challenging. I want to have a go after I have had my gym session at Nirvana (Berskshire, England). It would be interesting to have also the workaround in case I need it, which I believe it might be needed considering the previous experiences made so far. Have a look at my other replies which contains new elements at the real crunch and when it started.
Thank you for your kind offer!
Cheers!

hi jbennet,
I followed the advise and got into inf though after clicking on install the process s starts but immediately the copyng of files remains in suspension because ""The File "sr.sys" on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 CD is needed"".
Is there a work around for that as I dont have SP3 CD as it was downloaded and installed from Updates a while ago?
Please advise. Thanks.

Get your xp cd and intrgrate Sp3 using a tool called nlite

Browse the sr.inf installer to your C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386\sp3.cab or C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\sp3.cab so tht it can use the most recent files.

if D is a clone of c:, do you need tour .PST file?

Get your xp cd and intrgrate Sp3 using a tool called nlite

thanks jbennet, I am now asking SONY VAIO to send me a CD as I only have the recovery set of CD's created by myself after the purchase of this VAIO laptop. I hope VAIO will follow up my request though I have never been very positive about their Support

ok i just did a quick read , don't fully under stand he problem ,in safe mode why not just create a new user ,and use that !or is there more to this problem than my pea brain is absorbing !

ok i just did a quick read , don't fully under stand he problem ,in safe mode why not just create a new user ,and use that !or is there more to this problem than my pea brain is absorbing !

hi caperjack,
thank you for your interest in helping me to resolve this problem. As this is my girl's pc I don't have access to it all the time as she uses daily drive d:\ which works perfectly well.
to your suggestion: there is an empty user account in drive c:\ even when in safe mode, hence there is nothing I can do tocreate a New User, unless there is another method elsewhere I am unaware of.
I ordered an XP Home CD, which I'm not so sure I will receive from VAIO Support, but I will also try to buy one via Ebay. I only have one for XP Professional and one XP Professional Upgrade both with SP2 and a separate SP2 CD.
SP3 was downloaded and installed from Updates. I believe the problem was caused by trying to change the Username and then using SPOTMAU's wonder CD to retrieve forgotten password. This has caused WindowsInstaller to be corrupted. I can login in drive c:\ (slowly)and the systems looks fine with the exeption of No Internet, an empty User Accounts and no Un-installing of certain programs. I have tried all suggestions proposed by kind members but so far only one can be the way out (cloning back d:\ to c:\ by first renaming the drives and I will keep this solution of last resort.
I hope I have given all necessary explanations.
Thanks again and
cheers!

if D is a clone of c:, do you need tour .PST file?

Hi there, sorry but I don't understand the question. could you please explain further. Thank you very much for your interest in helping me.
cheers!

if your d hp a alone of c then it would have a copy of the pst file for out look. Try opening out look after booting into d. If you find your emails then you could clone it back to c

if your d hp a alone of c then it would have a copy of the pst file for out look. Try opening out look after booting into d. If you find your emails then you could clone it back to c

hi there in NewZealand! It a rainy and cold winter night here in UK. d:\ is a clone of c:\ as Windows and VAIO\ software installations but not Office Professional 2007, which was bought recently and installed on both drives. However, on drive d:\ all Office applications work fine with the exception of Office Oulook. When I try to open it, as it is visibly installed, I get "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other messanging software. Please reinstall Outlook". I've tried to repair using my Office CD but no positive results. I have also asked for a soution Microsost, based in Reading, Berkshire like me, but I havn't received a reply so far. I could un-install and re-install it though that is not my trop priority since at the moment Outlook Express is used for emails on drive d:\ and that is good enough. My priority is to get drive c:\ fixed as it was before the disaster caused by trying to change Username and using Spotmau Power Suite 2007 wonder CD to retrieve the forgotten administrator password. I will also write to Spotmau, Inc. Support <<www.spotmau.com>> and ask for explanations.
In drive c:\ Office Outlook and all the files are there but it doesn't work anymore because of the WindowsInstaller corruption. I need an XP Home CD to do the repair. Will see can I can do by following suggestions mentioned on this thread. Any other good ideas?
Cheers!

have you tried:

boot from D:
start-accessories-system tools
system Restore
restore to an earlier time
?

i know you have looked at it, but have you used it?

have you tried:

boot from D:
start-accessories-system tools
system Restore
restore to an earlier time
?

i know you have looked at it, but have you used it?

Hi Hotmatrix,
it's Sunday morning here in UK 10:30 am. I got your reply thank you and immediately opened the troubled VAIO in drive d:\. No problem to access System Restore from there, which I had done previously. The date I need to go back is 28th November though the system doesn't offer me an available restore point at that day. The earliest is the 7th December. Checking the System Restore Settings I can clearly see that both drives are set to "monitoring" and when I highlight c:\ I get the one named EN (English), hence the corrupt one.
Is there a solution to such restriction?
cheers!

solution? maybe. but not an easy one.

SYS restore for D: might be monitored, but maybe not on C:

In other words, D: might have SR enabled on both drives (therefore effecively backing up a copy of c to itself - not accurate, but will do for purpses of explanation)

but if C: does not have it enabled, then it has not been monitoring backups for itself.

One quick thought,

turn off pc
turn on, hitting F8

use "last good known config" or "last settings that worked"
choose your EN drive and hope.

or reboot, hitting F8
go safe mode, C: and see if it offers you a sys rest. from there?

I can't remember if that has been tried yet.

If not, I think you are going to need that XP, SP3 CD...

hi thanks again. All your suggestions have been tried out several time but I ' m willing to have another go after my shopping in town.
will report later in the day.
have also a nice Sunday.
cheers

solution? maybe. but not an easy one.

SYS restore for D: might be monitored, but maybe not on C:

In other words, D: might have SR enabled on both drives (therefore effecively backing up a copy of c to itself - not accurate, but will do for purpses of explanation)

but if C: does not have it enabled, then it has not been monitoring backups for itself.

One quick thought,

turn off pc
turn on, hitting F8

use "last good known config" or "last settings that worked"
choose your EN drive and hope.

or reboot, hitting F8
go safe mode, C: and see if it offers you a sys rest. from there?

I can't remember if that has been tried yet.

If not, I think you are going to need that XP, SP3 CD...

I would be stunned if SR in one OS restored the registry in another OS....
If you are still able to start the OS in C:, and there are restore points available [ie. made at times] then I don't see why you don't just copy them into current registry.. ie, config.

I am marking this thread as solved though in the end I could only save all my files from the cloned drive d:\ and as VAIO couldn't help with a CD (this machine came with installed XP Home + Vaio software) I had to format and run the 9 recovery CD's (System+Applications). The moral of this story is as already suggested on this thread never change the username THOUGH the damage was 100% caused by SPOTMAU CD PowerSuite 2007.
In fact, I am having exactly the same problems with two other HD's (80 GB and 40GB) on XP Professional. The 80GB had to be be formatted and reinstated with a clean XP Pro, while the 40GB one is still "sick" and I will take up the matter with this US firm www.spotmau.com. This wonder product promises to retrieve or blank the forgotten "administrator" password while instead it damages and corrupt the clean Windows installation. I am going to open a new thread regarding this 40GB HD with clear presentation of the problem.
Thank you for your precious help. My VAIO XP Home works perfectly well as new. No more Spotmau "wonder promises"
Best regards
sanchopancha

I got the solution

real answer

first , I installed 2007 trial (give few dollars to MICROSFOT CORP ) to test it for a few month

then reinsatll 2003, forgot to remove office 2007 from the add/remove file

then

all MS office work

except the corrupt mapi32.dll error for OUTLOOK only

--- recently it works

by doing quite a number of things

remove the 2003 office
create a new "NEWGUEST" Account with admin rights

rename all similar name files -- as it said here

http://help.lockergnome.com/office/Outlook-2003-mapi32-dll-error--ftopict947931.html

reinstall outlook only for this NEWGUEST account

then create a shortcut to this OUTLOOK in C:\root dir

and STOP an CANCEL 2007 installation (every single time) when 2003 OUTLOOK Is opened, (I seldom use email, so it is ALL RIGHT)

then , this will work

I guess, I could delete the account NEWGUEST now

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.