I recently tried to install Norton360 and not only would it not finish the install, now I cannot access QuickBooks2007 and some other important programs. I wasted a bunch of money looking for help at several computer stores and now they're telling me to reinstall XP. I have the disk for XP but don't have the key and I don't really want to format my drive anyway because I lost all my program disks and will lose alot of expensive and very important software. Is there anyway I can either fix my registry and get rid of any malware without losing everything?

Additionally, after trying to install Norton360, my DVD/CDRW will read DVDs and CDs but no program disks or Roms other than the damn Norton360 disk now. What's that all about and can it be fixed? If I format my drive will I even be able to reinstall XP from the CD now?

Please help. If there is freeware or shareware that could help I'd appreciate the links. I'm out of funds after paying all the rent-a-geeks for nothing. I'm new to this community and I really need some help with this problem. I'm not the most computer savvy but I'll do my best to grow and hopefully I will someday be able to be an asset to this community. I think this is a wonderful place and I look forward to being a part of it. I can only contribute a small amount financially though at this time.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I recently tried to install Norton360 and not only would it not finish the install, now I cannot access QuickBooks2007 and some other important programs. I wasted a bunch of money looking for help at several computer stores and now they're telling me to reinstall XP. I have the disk for XP but don't have the key and I don't really want to format my drive anyway because I lost all my program disks and will lose alot of expensive and very important software. Is there anyway I can either fix my registry and get rid of any malware without losing everything?

Additionally, after trying to install Norton360, my DVD/CDRW will read DVDs and CDs but no program disks or Roms other than the damn Norton360 disk now. What's that all about and can it be fixed? If I format my drive will I even be able to reinstall XP from the CD now?

Please help. If there is freeware or shareware that could help I'd appreciate the links. I'm out of funds after paying all the rent-a-geeks for nothing. I'm new to this community and I really need some help with this problem. I'm not the most computer savvy but I'll do my best to grow and hopefully I will someday be able to be an asset to this community. I think this is a wonderful place and I look forward to being a part of it. I can only contribute a small amount financially though at this time.

Hi Savvion ,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team. I can assist you with the Norton 360 aspect of your issue. The only time that a reformat is recommended is if you are infected with a serious trojans, are continually infected by numerous types of infections, or experience problems with Windows that are beyond repair.

It appears that the problem with your optical drive is either drive failure, a problem with the drivers or it can also be related to an infection. There is nothing on the Norton 360 installation CD that would cause the problems you describe with your optical drive.

When you install Norton 360 you must be connected to the internet so that you receive the latest setup files, etc. The installer for Norton 360 also prompts you to run a pre-install scan to check for infections prior to installation.

The first course of action I would advise you to take is to run the online Symantec Security Check application to check for infections.

Using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, please click on the link below and complete both tests.

Symantec Security Check

If any infections are found, make a note of what they are named and see if they can be cleaned. Let me know the exact name of the infections that were found.

After you complete the scan, run it once more just to be sure.

Since you have already attempted to install Norton 360, your installation is most likely not complete. To resolve this issue follow the steps below to properly uninstall and reinstall Norton 360.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Make sure that your internet connection is working properly and then reinstall Norton 360.

4. When the installation is complete, launch Norton 360, click on the "PC Security" button and select "Check for Updates." When the updates are complete, click on "Scans" and complete a "Comprehensive Scan" with Norton 360.

Please try this process and let me know the outcome.

Thank you,
Mike

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.