Sometimes my P.C just turns itself off and starts re-booting. Then a message comes up.

It says: One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.

Then I have to wait while it does the check.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

It might be your Hard Drive going bad or it can be a faulty power supply and a old hard drive that keeps crashing it that's my two cents.

Sometimes my P.C just turns itself off and starts re-booting. Then a message comes up.

It says: One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.

Then I have to wait while it does the check.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

The consistency check doesn't necessarilly indicate that a disk error is the real root of the problem. The consistency check is automatically forced when Windows senses that it was shut down abnormally, but the reason for that shutdown could be one (or more) of many things.

Spontaneous shutdowns/reboots can be caused by anything from virus/spyware inspections to hardware failures. Can you give us more background info to go on?

1. When did this start happening, and had you made any hardware or software changes at about that time?

2. Have you scanned your system thoroughly for virus, spyware, adware, etc. infections?

3. Does the computer exhibit the problem when Windows is booted into Safe Mode?

4. Does the problem seem to occur only when you are running certain programs or performing certain tasks, or is it random (think carefully)?

5. Is it a thermal problem perhaps? Open the computer's case and make sure that all areas are free of dust/dirt, and that all fans are operating correctly.

6. While you've got the case open, check all of your cards/cables/connections. Make sure that everythig is seated firmly and correctly.

7. MAD_DOG may be right about the power supply or drive; it could also be some other component aside from those which is failing. Remove/disconnect any non-essential devices (network card, sound card, CD-ROM, etc.) one at a time. Also, if you have more than one RAM module installed, try them one module at a time as well. If the computer only crashes while a certain component is installed, you may need to replace that component.

It started happening not long after I got a new hard drive put in. I've run all the spyware, etc, checks. It only happens when i'm using the internet.

What operating system are you on? If your on NT/2000/XP use NTFS not FAT32 and see if this cures your problem.

What operating system are you on? If your on NT/2000/XP use NTFS not FAT32 and see if this cures your problem.

Sorry for sounding stupid, but how would I do that? I'm not too clued up on P.Cs

Ok, that looks easy enough to do. But could I mess up my P.C by doing this?

Ok, that looks easy enough to do. But could I mess up my P.C by doing this?

not if everything goes right ,as with any big change to windows and your harddrive ,make backups of important data first !!

Ok,I think i'll give it a go. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Not a problem let us know how it works out.

Looking at it again, i'm not sure if I want to do this, sounds complicated

Download the BOOTITNG.ZIP file to its own folder, extract the contents of the ZIP file, then run BOOTITNG.EXE, which will make a bootable floppy. Boot this floppy. For purposes of Partition Management, there is no need to install the program to hard disk, so click Cancel Install, thus entering Maintenance. Click Partition Work. Highlight the partition you intend to convert. Click Slide, which has an option check box to Align for NTFS only. Click OK. As it has to move almost every sector on the entire partition, this will take a very long time — schedule it for a meal break, or start it to run overnight. (If it finishes quickly, that probably means that the partition was properly aligned already.)

Do a Start Run

Then type what they posted in the link I gave you it's that simple.

But I can't do it without downloading the BOOTITING.ZIP file?

It only happens when i'm using the internet.

Are you absolutely sure about that? If that's really the case, I'd suspect that you're looking at something other than a drive-oriented problem, and that attempting a filesystem conversion may cause more problems than the one you currently have.

No i'm not sure, not at all. It just says I should do that in the guide, if I want to change from FAT32 to NTFS.

No i'm not sure, not at all. It just says I should do that in the guide...

Do what? You said that the shutdown problem only happens when you're on the Internet; I'm just asking if that's really the only time the problem occurs.

Sorry, I thought you were replying to the post about BOOTITING. I'm pretty sure that it only happens when i'm on the internet, although, thinking about it, it may have happened a couple of times when the P.C was idle.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.