when ever there is no player open or any app that is made to produce sound, other then windows, a faint static can be heard at all times. when the mouse is moved another sound is mixed in with the first, again its very faint. when a keystroke is made a thrid differant sound is made and yes again its faint. all three of these sound can be done at once if i'm typing and moving the mouse around at the same time. i have tried two sound card types, the On board sound and a pci sound card both produce the same sounds. and another thing if i'm am opening an app lets say adobe photo shop, my player skips. mp3s dont skip.. theres some thing startge going on here, heres some system specs.
Time of this report: 11/13/2003, 05:41:03
Machine name: BOX2
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ECS
System Model: K7S5A
BIOS: Version 1.00
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 299MB used, 1116MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

these are just the basics check out the full file if you think you need it, any help here would sweet.. and when i say sweet i mean totally sweet.
peace.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

when ever there is no player open or any app that is made to produce sound, other then windows, a faint static can be heard at all times.

Chipless on-board sound, also known as AC '97 (audio codec 1997) will cause this problem for two reasons:

1. Being on the motherboard, it's more subject to digital noise due to its proximity to digital circuitry (and the fact that part of the audio circuitry is on the same chipset that's doing the digital work); and

2. Since the CPU is doing the actual work of the digital-to-analog conversion, the sucked-up cycles cause little "hiccups" that are audible.

A PCI sound card will both sound better and improve performance. A SoundBlaster Live! (the minimum that I recommend) will cost as little as $30 in the OEM version.

thank you. i will head to my near comp usa and pick one up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.