Hi Guys,

I recently had a problem with my computer and had to do a good old system restore. Though this sorted out my software problem, it has created a really irritating problem - my computer still works but it is frustrating me no end!! Here is my predicament:

When restoring, I must ahve skipped the 'computer name' section or typed in a different name. Now the 'my documents' section is now clean, and my desktop is missing a vast number of shortcuts! All the files are located in the old user desktop and 'my documents' - located somewhere else. This probably doesn't sound too bad to most but it's really frustrating having to trawl into the depths of my computer to find my photos and music.

I want to know, is there a quick fix for this - I'm struggling to think of any way round it. Am I being thick?? I don't think I can just log on as a different user either - I've already tried that!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

why not just copy and paste the files to where windows wants to look for them .ie:C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents.
and you did a windows repair install ,not a system restore!

I did think about that but then I have got a lot of files to copy over - aroudn 40/50 gb - plus once I've moverd my music, iTunes won't be able to find it (because it's rubbish).

I did think about that but then I have got a lot of files to copy over - aroudn 40/50 gb - plus once I've moverd my music, iTunes won't be able to find it (because it's rubbish).

i guess you could make a short cut on you desktop and direct it to the folder were the files are now located !
or maybe someone who mad the same mistake you have made, will have a fix for you ,sorry

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.