My laptop has been giving me some grief and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any similar problems, and if so what solutions they've found. When I turn on my laptop the display usually stays black unless I hold in the power button for about 15 seconds (flushing capacitors?) then it works fine. And my wireless card is almost always not detected, although occassionally it is. When it is not detected the device doesn't even exist in the device manager - leading me to believe it's not a driver issue but something much worse... Is my motherboard crapping out on me? Or is there just some rediculous power-saving settings that are bugged and easily fixed? I don't know where to start with this problem! Any help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I sugguest you go to the laptop manufacturers website and check out their support page. You should be able to get the latest and greatest drives, patches, BIOS, and fixes to eliminate software as the cause of your problems. If that doesn't work, your mb might be going south.

I sugguest you go to the laptop manufacturers website and check out their support page. You should be able to get the latest and greatest drives, patches, BIOS, and fixes to eliminate software as the cause of your problems. If that doesn't work, your mb might be going south.

Yeah I've tried the HP website and downloaded all the right drivers for my laptop. As I said, I don't think it's a driver issue, since the device isn't being recognized as being connected at all. Not even Everest Ultimate Edition detects it. I took apart my whole laptop and reseated all the wireless connections so I don't think it's a physical (connection) problem either. It doesn't make sense! Once in a blue moon it will work perfectly, but I can't seem to figuire out why. Also, I should note, recently my DVD writer can no longer write to DVDs, but can write to CDs and read CDs and DVDs.

I'm a computer tech so it's a bit embarassing that I can't even fix my own machine ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.