I am runnning Windows XP Pro, with SP2 recently installed. Before I installed SP2, I could run DOS-based programs OK. Tell the system to run the program, and it would pop up the Command Prompt and run it. After I installed SP2, when I try to run most DOS-based programs, I get an error message saying "C:\Windows\System32\AUTOEXEC.NT The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications." Some programs, it will still run, but not very many. All of the programs I am having a problem with ran fine before I installed SP2. What's going on here and what can I do to correct it?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi,

this is a known problem that can occur when installing SP2, which is caused when one or more system files are deleted during the SP2 installation. The best instructions for fixing this problem can be found in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=324767

The info at that link seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the tip!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.