Hi, I'm kinda new to daniweb and I've got a question which is probably a very simple one. At work on our intranet we are running a web-based phone book from a Win2000 server. we have a DNs set up for the site so users just have to type it in then boom there it is, but my question is, can you have two DNs's set up to go to the one server, ie at the moment, the DNS is pointing to the IP of the server, but I want to have a different DNS for the second website, is this possible or will I just have to add on to the end of the original DNs that's set up??? :-|

What you are looking to do is called round-robin DNS, this is very common in large businesses, as a means to distrobute the traffic of the sites between many servers. All you need to do is create a new 'A' record in the DNS for the second server, and it should start to randomly send traffic between the 2 servers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.