In Windows XP, the computer works OK when first started but after about 10 or 15 minutes, it partially freezes. This may (or may not) be Limewire related as I was attempting unsuccessfully to connect to Limewire right around the time when things stopped working right.

The partially freeze goes like this: Mouse still works normally. Internet programs freeze. Attempts to open new programs will show hourglass for 20 seconds or so and then nothing. Attempts to shutdown normally go> Start >Turn off computer> hourglass indefinitely.

What I've tried already (with no effect): Uninstalled Limewire. Used System Restore to go back a few days before problem arose. Disk Cleanup. Delete Temp Internet files. Ran AdAware, Spybot, F-Prot, Windows Defender. Swore (more than once). Nothing is having any effect.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

alt+ctrl+del, open windows tak manager and go to processes and see if one is using 100%of cpu .system idle process is ok to be using 98%

System Idle Process seems to be using 99 most of the time. Is this something I should be checking all the time to see where the draw is coming from?

System Idle Process seems to be using 99 most of the time. Is this something I should be checking all the time to see where the draw is coming from?

Also as I look at the "Processes" the file "fssm32.exe" seems to be the only one registering under the CPU column. It goes from 0 to sometimes as high as 50. I searched the files and it is part of my F-Prot Anti-Virus (which I've had for years).

That file showing high CPu time share, being the module manager for F-Secure's Security suite means that a module is working overtime. You could check the logs to see what is happening, maybe turn off individual modules to check, and if you do discover a fault then you are faced with repairing the security suite installaion.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.