Well, now it's my turn to receive some troubles :-|

My computer is running with:

Intel P4 3E GHz
1280MB of PC3200 RAM
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
WD 200 GB 7,200 RPM
Intel D865PERL Motherboard

The problem:

Since yesterday afternoon, I've been encountering occasional freezing while simply just pressing e.g. the Start Button. I've never previously encountered such a problem and I don't enjoy it :evil: Anything wrong with it? I can't seem to find out exactly whats wrong with it. I get freezing also when right clicking on the background to simply go into Properties, going into My Documents etc.

Any help would be much appreciated! I can't be bothered for another format on the HDD :lol:

Thanks again

Best,
Nigel

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Some more info would be helpful, like what OS you have, more examples of when the freezing occurs, how long the freezes last, if you've recently added any hardware or software, etc.

I can think of a few possibilities off-hand; memory problems (insuffient, bad, mismatched, memory dump), overheating, or a conflict of some sort (could be hardware or software).

My OS is currently Windows XP Professional. Freezing now and then occurs when I press Start or when I'm lucky sometimes, I get as far as getting the "My Documents" or others highlighted. It doesn't always happen but now and then. The only software I recently remember installed is Ad-Aware SE. Many Thanks!

Are you running any anti virus? If so, run a scan of your PC. If not, uninstall any software you've installed leading up to the first instance your PC froze until presant. Failing that, Back up Format reinstall do da do da.

A fresh format always clears your mind

Will give them a go. Thanks for the help!

You might also try some standard basic maintenance actions and see if that cleans it up. Here's a checklist:

-- Delete all temp files (c:\windows\temp\*.tmp, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp)

-- Delete temporary internet files (c:\windows\temporary internet files\*.*, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files)

-- If you use I.E., click on Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files, select "delete all off-line content", click OK

-- Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, Systems Tools, Disk Cleanup

-- Download AdAware, check for updates, run it and remove whatever it finds

-- Download Diskeeper and defrag

-- Download, update and turn on SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard (or your spyware removal tool of choice).

AND the most important ... defragment your system drive. That will give windows a relief.

defrag, spyware scan, scan for errors on windows and drive, and jeez 128mb of ram on XP i dont know how you do it, i had 256mb on a computer and it was extremely slow, if you upgrade that ram, you would b suprised at how much faster it goes, especially if u go up to 512 ddr.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.