Okay I'm running windows vista premium, 64bit, with a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT video card. My monitor is a Generic PnP Monitor, LCD.

Two days ago my sister brought it to my attention that my computer monitor was flickering. Not back and forth between black and fine, all the hookups are fine, nothing loose, nothing broke, everything externally is fine.

The flickering is more of a rolling flicker, and can only really be seen on the darker parts of the screen, but it's affection the whole computer. I tried changing the refresh rate to a higher rate, but it didn't help, I tried resetting the monitor to default, but for one reason or another it became entirely too bright and I had to work for 30min to get it back to a normal look.

There was also a point when I reset the monitor to defaults that it suddenly turned green, and when I turned off the monitor and back on it was gone. It did it twice, but not again after that.

Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I would check that the cables are firmly connected unplug them and clean then a little at both end. If this does not work your monitor may be on its way to the bin you should test it on another computer to be sure.

I would check that the cables are firmly connected unplug them and clean then a little at both end. If this does not work your monitor may be on its way to the bin you should test it on another computer to be sure.

I all ready checked the cables as said before, I guess I'll have.

Actually sounds like a driver issue. Although nVidia has recently released notebook drivers (till now supplied only through the OEM), would more inclined to recommend link below, as ppl are still seeing bugs in the official nVidia releases.

http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

That would be fine, if I had a laptop. As big as my computer is, I don't think it would all fit inside of one :) I figured it was a driver issue, but it confused me when I was resetting the monitor, why it would turn green.

That would be fine, if I had a laptop. As big as my computer is, I don't think it would all fit inside of one :)

Hmmmm - blonde moment :$ Was rather late when responding, lol.

Well, considering is a stand-alone monitor, am almost leaning away from a driver issue, although having said that, is always worth a try... lot less drama.

TO see if it is in fact the monitor which is dying or not, do you have access to an alternate system that you can plug it into to test? Also might be worth just double-checking that your video card is connected properly, as may be spiking. Unlikely a problem with PC's power supply - which can also cause spikes - if the rest of your system is playing nicely.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.