Would someone please give me a step-by-step procedure to associate a program with a file format--in particular--how to display content of a .pps (PowerPoint) attachment. I have downloaded the M/S PowerPoint viewer program but am unable to figure out how to "associate" it (whatever that means). Thanks, DCG

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Would someone please give me a step-by-step procedure to associate a program with a file format--in particular--how to display content of a .pps (PowerPoint) attachment. I have downloaded the M/S PowerPoint viewer program but am unable to figure out how to "associate" it (whatever that means). Thanks, DCG

Hi dcgibson, just a quick question, which version of Windows did you install the PowerPoint viewer on?

Hi dcgibson, just a quick question, which version of Windows did you install the PowerPoint viewer on?

Windows XP s/p3 (and thanks for the quick response!)

Windows XP s/p3 (and thanks for the quick response!)

Hi dc, here are the steps below, let me know if this helps. Good luck!

1.Open My Computer or Explorer.
2.Click the Tools menu and Folder Options.
3.Click the File Types tab.

Adding a new file type

•Click The New button.

•Type the name of the file extension (.zip, .doc, .ppt, etc...).

•Click Ok.

Modify the actions of a file type

•Locate the file extension you wish to modify and highlight it.
•Click the Advanced button.
•If you wish to modify a previous action, highlight the action in the Actions list and edit it. Otherwise, click New and create a new action.

Removing a file type

•Locate the file extension you wish to remove and highlight it.
•Click the Delete button.

Or can simply right-click on file in question, go to "open with" and set the default app to handle the file :)

I'm grateful to both my rapid responders, and embarrassed to admit that at the moment (having just emptied my delete folder) I find I no longer have a .pps formatted message to test the offered solutions! Rest assured I have printed out and saved both your responses and will let you know my results shortly! Again, I am most grateful! DCG

best bet and quickest fix i can think of is
1) right clicking the file
2) click properties
3) click open with
4) select power point
if power point isnt in the list click browse and search for power point in program files

best bet and quickest fix i can think of is
1) right clicking the file
2) click properties
3) click open with
4) select power point
if power point isnt in the list click browse and search for power point in program files

And thanks to you also--Please see my earlier response--I'll add your solution to the list to be tested as well. Gratefully, DCG

I'm grateful to both my rapid responders, and embarrassed to admit that at the moment (having just emptied my delete folder) I find I no longer have a .pps formatted message to test the offered solutions! Rest assured I have printed out and saved both your responses and will let you know my results shortly! Again, I am most grateful! DCG

If thats the case just make a new text file, then change the extention to pps instead of txt. When prompted to change say yes or ok, whatever it asks. The file will now be seen as a pps even though its not then you can do what i told you so that pps files are associated to power point. Hope that helps

If thats the case just make a new text file, then change the extention to pps instead of txt. When prompted to change say yes or ok, whatever it asks.

You got in before I could respond, lol. My thoughts exactly. Power Point Viewer won't particularly like the file (will get an error message on loading) but will you allow to change your prefs

GUYS: Still no joy! Following rtolsma: (M/S WINXPSP3, Outlook Express)

MyComputer/Tools/FolderOptions/FileTypes/RegisteredFileTypes:

Located .pps file extension, highlighted it, clicked 'Advance' button:

[window] "Edit File Type" - Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Show
Actions: Print/SaveAs/Show (Highlighted 'Show', clicked OK
Closed 'FolderOptions', minimized 'MyComputer' window

Opened attachment to fwd'd email (.pps extension)
'Mail Attachment' window: "Do you want to open this file?"
Name: xxxx.pps
Type: Microsoft PowerPoint Slide Show
Clicked "Open"

Error Message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in theFolderOptions control panel. [OK]

Any more good ideas????????????????? Thanks in advance! DCG

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.