HI, I'm posting this tread here because I haven't found any thread dedicated to win svr 2008 (and ws2008 is more like vista than ws2003 :)

Does Any one know how to make windows server 2008 sp1 to work with Iomega REV drive 120GB (SATA)?? Because iomega's drivers are not (yet) digitally signed ws2008 does not use them at all instead it loads standard CD_ROM driver which turns Iomega into useless backupdrive :(

I've already checked Iomega website - they admit that they already working on new driver but it's not ready yet.

Maybe somehow, there is way to override windows and use "my" drivers.

Any help would be welcomed.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Does Any one know how to make windows server 2008 sp1 to work with Iomega REV drive 120GB (SATA)?? Because iomega's drivers are not (yet) digitally signed ws2008 does not use them at all instead it loads standard CD_ROM driver which turns Iomega into useless backupdrive :(

Actually looks like Solid State memory device (or some variation there-of), but don't quote me on that.

As to forcing the drivers to install, download the utility here, and use to first force Windows into "Test Mode" and then add a digital signature to the drivers at hand... being that it is Test Mode, the drivers should install without a drama.

Now am just downloading the software package at present to see if I can extract the drivers for you, as they will need to be accessible (unpacked) for the utility to actually be able to sign them.

I'll get back to you shortly :)

OK - after semi-cracking open with UniExtract, pulling out the MSI file, over-riding compatibility, several f*cking re-boots, I got the damned app installed (and then clicked I could have simply extracted contents of MSI file without needing to install :$ )

Now, two questions:

• Are you running x86 or x64 Server 2008 (had assumed x64 not realising signed driver policy now extends to x86 as well)? If x86 I will need to load up Vista and repeat process as the outer InstallShield installer auto-detects and drops out the appropriate MSI installer.
  • And can you confirm the app you are using from iOmega to install drivers. I could only find the REV System Software on their site, which does contain drivers, but having never used their hardware, I just need to confirm this is in fact the right package.

Thank you for your quick response to my troubles :)

[*]Are you running x86 or x64 Server 2008 (had assumed x64 not realising signed driver policy now extends to x86 as well)?

I'm running 32-bit version of Windows Server Standard 2008 SP1 (SP2 - installed today)

[*]And can you confirm the app you are using from iOmega to install drivers. I could only find the REV System Software on their site, which does contain drivers, but having never used their hardware, I just need to confirm this is in fact the right package.
[/LIST]

I tried the newest version from here (iomega site)
as it is the same - comparing to driver cd which was bundeled with drive. This is software package which includes drivers.

OK - am uploading files for you (is a self-extracting RAR file in case your wondering why is an executable)... have taken two options, so bear with me while I take you through both options. Inside the archive are three files - the MSI installer, files unpacked from MSI, and a list of signed drivers. Download from here.

Before you do anything, you'll need to flip Windows in "driver test" mode using the utility I previously mentioned, from here. Reboot to apply.

OPTION ONE
I'm not 100% this first option will fully solve the driver issue. I've used the utility to "sign" the actual MSI installer (as well as disabling OS version compatibility test). It will install, but whether signing the installer will automatically hit the drivers inside, I don't know.

OPTION TWO
This involves replacing the drivers installed with signed versions. Use the text file to locate - the install locations should pretty well line up with the folder directories.

Now in either case, you should use Device Manager to completely uninstall any drivers currently installed for the device, and reboot before installing.

Let us know how you go. Unfortunately by combining software and drivers in one package, they've made life a lot more difficult, but hopefully these steps are sufficient to get you up and running :)

Let us know how you go. Unfortunately by combining software and drivers in one package, they've made life a lot more difficult, but hopefully these steps are sufficient to get you up and running :)

Thank you. I will be back to you as soon I manage to push this forward :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.