HP Pavilion 510n , Windows XP Home Edition,some RAM, and a 40GB hard drive. I was updating the computer through Microsoft, already had SP1 & SP2 on it. I already had Internet Explorer 7 on it. It seemed like I was on the last bit of updates and it said it was done installing the last few and that I needed to RESTART the computer. No problem, I thought. When the computer went to boot back up, after the HP splash screen, all I get is ...." NTLDR is missing, Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. When I push them I get the same screen again.....press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart. I have no clue what happend. Everything was fine. I went into the BIOS and it recognizes that the hard drive is there.
Any help fixing this computer will be GREATLY appreciated !!!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Can you boot up in safe mode? If so, try running a system restore from there and rolling back the updates.

Afterward, try adding the available updates one or two at a time - should have less issues, and will allow you to catch if it is a particular update that is giving you grief.

Can you boot up in safe mode? If so, try running a system restore from there and rolling back the updates.

Afterward, try adding the available updates one or two at a time - should have less issues, and will allow you to catch if it is a particular update that is giving you grief.

NTLDR = "NT Loader" = Boot loader. The machine can't boot in to windows. You need to get your windows installation media (XP CD) and reinstall your bootloader to get back in to windows. The URL provided by Thinka should give you enough information to solve the problem.

I couldn't boot into Safe Mode. I did do what THINKA had suggested and IT WORKED !!!!!!! Thank you ALL for yer replies and especially Thinka for the right combo !

I'm glad you got it working

Please mark this thread as solved if you have found an answer to problem and good luck!

Well done mate

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.