im trying 2 setup xp home edition for my mother who is a famous "Garden knome"... i tryed booting from the cd and and installing a new copy...but get a "no hardrive found" and it stops there. i even chnged the boot order to cd 1st, then harddrive 2nd.
HP laptop.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Try changing BIOS settings for hard drive to something like "compatible" (if it is Vista-ready laptop).

is the hard drive a sata? if it is you may need to load the drivers while the windows cd is starting (watch the bottom of the screen for something like 'press F3 to load third party sata/raid drivers')... not sure what F key but it will tell you.

if you dont have the floppy for the driver chances are they are on a system cd that came with the computer. there should be a utility that when run will write the files to a floppy.

is the hard drive a sata? if it is you may need to load the drivers while the windows cd is starting (watch the bottom of the screen for something like 'press F3 to load third party sata/raid drivers')... not sure what F key but it will tell you.

It's F6.

That's why they're popularly called f6 drivers.

opps... well I was half way there. :$ lol. Gotta give a Linux guy some credit... its been a while.

o well. as long as the info is passed and helpful ;)

I doubt it, because today's laptops usually don't have floppy drives, while XP INSISTS on floppy drive (?) when it comes to f6 drivers.. That part of MS-thinking I will never understand.

Only chance for getting those drivers to work is by slipstreaming Setup CD.

true. i was kind of thinking that but my friends laptop he just bought was a dell and it surprisingly did have a floppy.

one can always download the sata drivers from hp if there is no disk.

I did do this once when I built and setup the server where i work, it didn't have a floppy so i copied the drivers to a jump drive and loaded them that way. I used it the same way a floppy would be used in that situation.

then again it wasn't xp home. maybe this would be of some help?
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.