Hi, I have two questions (Win XP):

1) I accidentally set a file's extension to open with the option "Always open with this app", or whatever the text is. Anyway, you can change it in the file's property dialog, but you cannot remove it. I want to remove it so that it will prompt to "browse the internet for appropriate viewer" or whatever the text is.

2) How do I modify the "Open with..." or "Send to..." option on the context menu to always include Notepad.exe?

Thanks,
David

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I thiink you wil have to alter the registry but I cannot remember exactly which entry. It is one that deals with the file associations but googling registry file associations or something like that will hellp.
M

open "My computer", go to "Tools" menu, "Folder options", "File types" tab, there is a list of all extentions, select the one you want to change, the select it and select "change" chose your program, If you don't have one, a the botom there is a place to select search the web for program.

The "Open with.." is done automaticly by Windows, If you use it once on a file I would always be open for selection, remember to deselect the "alway open with" check box if don't want to change it permanantly.

2) How do I modify the "Open with..." or "Send to..." option on the context menu to always include Notepad.exe?

Thanks,
David

found this with google and it worked for me !

openwith=
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-open-with-notepad-to-the-context-menu-for-all-files/

send to:
Click Start /run and type,- shell:sendto - (press Enter)
From the File menu, click New, and then click Shortcut.
Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard and create a shortcut to C:\Windows\Notepad.exe

open "My computer", go to "Tools" menu, "Folder options", "File types" tab, there is a list of all extentions, select the one you want to change, the select it and select "change" chose your program, If you don't have one, a the botom there is a place to select search the web for program.

SOLVED ITEM 1--BRAVO--THANKS!

send to:
Click Start /run and type,- shell:sendto - (press Enter)
From the File menu, click New, and then click Shortcut.
Follow the instructions in the Create Shortcut Wizard and create a shortcut to C:\Windows\Notepad.exe

SOLVED ITEM 2--BRAVO--THANKS!

SOLVED ITEM 1--BRAVO--THANKS!

SOLVED ITEM 2--BRAVO--THANKS!

your welcome

.i just used www.google.com to find the answers ,didn't know them until I did! -)

.i just used www.google.com to find the answers ,didn't know them until I did! -)

LOL--smarty. I tried a quick search and didn't find it, then realized, "Hey, I bet somebody on this website knows." Anyway, I appreciate your time--thanks!

LOL--smarty. I tried a quick search and didn't find it, then realized, "Hey, I bet somebody on this website knows." Anyway, I appreciate your time--thanks!

what ever works ,right ,just glad we got what you were looking for !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.