Can a 64-bit Operating System be installed on machine having a 32-bit processor??

scru commented: Noob -1

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

I think it should install but the operation will not be as that good as the 64 bit processor... hmm.. let's wait for other suggestion :) good question ..

check this out:
The main difference between 32-bit and 64-bit computing lies in the central processing unit (CPU), the main chip that's at the heart of every computer. 32-bit processors can handle 32 bits of data at a time, while 64-bit processors, as you might imagine, can handle twice that amount. In short, when a processor can handle more data, it can theoretically allow you to load larger programs, bigger files, and generally be more productive. Most processors sold in computers today are 64-bit but also fully support 32-bit instructions, which makes them compatible with the majority of today's operating systems and software

link is:
http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/196629,64-bit-vs-32-bit-which-is-right-for-you--feature.html

commented: Noob -1

No, it can't be installed. 32-bit software can run on a 64-bit CPU (with the case of x86-64 CPUs), but not the other way around. The 32-bit processor won't be able to understand the 64-bit instructions.

No, it can't be installed. 32-bit software can run on a 64-bit CPU (with the case of x86-64 CPUs), but not the other way around. The 32-bit processor won't be able to understand the 64-bit instructions.

I would confirm this.

Another NO here. I have tried Windows7 64bit on a 32bit machine just to see and it says "wrong CPU installed".

And it's no from me too.

and just in case you didnt quite get that - NO you cannot hense the different names!

Can a 64-bit Operating System be installed on machine having a 32-bit processor??

No, Nein, Nie, Nada, Nyet!

On the other hand, just how have you determined you do in fact have a pure x86 processor? Info would be helpful, just to clarify/clear-up any assumptions.

No, Nein, Nie, Nada, Nyet!

On the other hand, just how have you determined you do in fact have a pure x86 processor? Info would be helpful, just to clarify/clear-up any assumptions.

He didn't say he had a 32 bit CPU! LOL.

He didn't say he had a 32 bit CPU! LOL.

My point exactly. A huge number of OEM machines released over last few yrs which were infact fully x64 compatible, came with x86 Windows... thus just checking is not the basis for OP's assumptions :)

OP had a question, not an assumption :D

My point exactly. A huge number of OEM machines released over last few yrs which were infact fully x64 compatible, came with x86 Windows... thus just checking is not the basis for OP's assumptions :)

So there.

Can you tell us what processor you have just to make sure it is 32-bit?

Do you already have a 64-bit OS or are you after buying a new OS?

Didn't say he did have an assumption.... was simply checking there wasn't an assumption behind the question.

There is a difference ;)

Didn't say he did have an assumption.... was simply checking there wasn't an assumption behind the question.

There is a difference ;)

Maybe I don't understand English then :-/

just checking is not the basis for OP's assumptions :)

I'm sure you are saying there that the OP is making assumptions?

Could have been worded a little better, granted (was 6:30 in the morning), but was not meaning to imply an assumption had in fact been made, but just checking that one had not been made.

Point in case stems from the confusion in many an OEM's support forum, resulting from the fact that vendors often plonk Windows x86 on systems fully capable of running Windows x64 (processor and all HW components)... had same issue with both notebooks this end. The result is a lot of confusion for many an end-user not sure if they are capable of upgrading to x64.

Was simply trying to clarify whether or not the OP's question had arisen from such situation, or whether he did in fact have a 32-bit processor (and again, yes could have framed the point a little better, but no insult was ever intended)

Could have been worded a little better, granted (was 6:30 in the morning), but was not meaning to imply an assumption had in fact been made, but just checking that one had not been made.

Point in case stems from the confusion in many an OEM's support forum, resulting from the fact that vendors often plonk Windows x86 on systems fully capable of running Windows x64 (processor and all HW components)... had same issue with both notebooks this end. The result is a lot of confusion for many an end-user not sure if they are capable of upgrading to x64.

Was simply trying to clarify whether or not the OP's question had arisen from such situation, or whether he did in fact have a 32-bit processor (and again, yes could have framed the point a little better, but no insult was ever intended)

We're just having some fun with you!

We're just having some fun with you!

Yah I know (well sorta, lol), but was worth clarifying after "kind reminder" of original phrasing - just to make sure OP didn't get wrong idea... although given OP's silence on this thread, makes it hard to know :-/

Yah I know (well sorta, lol), but was worth clarifying after "kind reminder" of original phrasing - just to make sure OP didn't get wrong idea... although given OP's silence on this thread, makes it hard to know :-/

The OP got his answer in 7 Spades doubled and redoubled right at the start of this thread!

All this discussion after a simple "No". I like, I like :P

Ahhhh, we have to build our post count, don't we :)

Ahhhh, we have to build our post count, don't we :)

And that's what I'm doing right now too :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.