Hey,

Ive got a salvaged laptop harddrive in a caddy connected via USB 2 to my new laptop.

It worked once and I was able to access my files on the old drive.

Now when I connect it to the new laptop it says the usb port has surged and shut down and i have to reset the port.

So i reset the port but the same thing keeps happening. The power keeps surging.

Any ideas people? :?: :?: :?: :?:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

does it happen on all ports? have you another machine of which you can test it on? if it only happens on the 1 port then it maybe a surge or fault causing the surge in the port

it happens on all ports. plus, i tried it on a PC using XP and nothing happened at all.

Power began running to the drive (little LED lit up on the casing) but the PC made no visible attempt to recognise it.

I dont understand!

ok, now im confused

try to see if your USB ports are actually recognised and enabled in both BIOS and device manager. if not enable them but if they are enabled then may be a fault elsewhere i.e the caddy itself. have u a spare caddy? try that.

Ill have to get back to the company that sold me the caddy I think.

The drive worked the first time I plugged it in but the next day it didnt.

Unfortunately I dont have a spare caddy.

Is there not any way I can set the power usage allowance for the USB ports on my laptop maybe? So that it doesnt overload. Or is that not a good idea?

Ill have to get back to the company that sold me the caddy I think.

The drive worked the first time I plugged it in but the next day it didnt.

Unfortunately I dont have a spare caddy.

Is there not any way I can set the power usage allowance for the USB ports on my laptop maybe? So that it doesnt overload. Or is that not a good idea?

personally, i wouldn't reccommend it. the power usage on the USB is set to optimal usage. even trying could faff things up.

i take it that the laptop and the caddy are both under guaruntee or service agreement. may be worth having someone service your laptop just in case the fault lies there but i dont think it will.

let me know how u get on

Have you thought of getting, or trying a powered USB hub. I've seen it recommended before if you have a lot of devices running from USB. The hub would give power to all devices instead of the Laptop. They are fairly cheap and will give you extra usb ports as a bonus.

is this the only device you have running on the usb port(s)

Well my laptop has three usb ports.

Ive tried it with my mouse conected to usb at the same time. Ive tried it without. Ive tried it on each port and I get the same result every time.

Ill try using a powered hub. I do have one somewhere.

Well my laptop has three usb ports.

Ive tried it with my mouse conected to usb at the same time. Ive tried it without. Ive tried it on each port and I get the same result every time.

Ill try using a powered hub. I do have one somewhere.

hmmm, sounds like you could have an internal mobo problem then. especially so if the ports are shorting out. let me know how it goes:confused:

what is a mobo?

what is a mobo?

motherboard. Mobo is just short for it.:lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.